EWI skill set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnk

We have experience a shortage of plasterers in Ireland to carry out EWI, as companies who have no plastereing background such as plumbers,so called builders,carpenters and QS, resulting in terrible workmanship giving the trade
and EWI industry a bad name.I can see this happening in the UK already as some of these contractors have already set up in the UK.The Polish seem to think they have the monoply on EWI and yet they are responsible for most of the bad work ,non payment to suppliers.I wouldnt mind but they cant even use a hawk and trowel.

I agree mate polish work rough as toast. They use bucket trowel instead of hawk WTF.

I'm trying to get some experience in EWI but struggling for an oppourtunity.

i would not say the polish were the only culprits, i worked on a site in birmingham and the dashing was terrible looked like it was put on with a shovel:RpS_scared:.

Im saying all polish after all there is 45million of them and they arnt all bad, its just that they bring there mates and say they are experienc, when they are only training them and using cheap labour.Hey i know bad Irish ones too.

We have experience a shortage of plasterers in Ireland to carry out EWI, as companies who have no plastereing background such as plumbers,so called builders,carpenters and QS, resulting in terrible workmanship giving the trade
and EWI industry a bad name.I can see this happening in the UK already as some of these contractors have already set up in the UK.The Polish seem to think they have the monoply on EWI and yet they are responsible for most of the bad work ,non payment to suppliers.I wouldnt mind but they cant even use a hawk and trowel.

there is no shortage off good spreads in ireland most are on the dole

The suppliers are at fault for not canvising to plasterers in upskilling with EWI systems as they gave certs to anyone willing to pay for a so called 1 day course.Orinally i was on a course with a supplier which i wont mention and the class consisted of 16 men and only 3 of us were plasterers and there was a even guy there with only 1 arm.Like to see him trowing on material.

Lol....equal opportunities n all that but some qualities(limbs) are fairly essential! Saying that though a simple def leopard drummer/a-team style rig and pulley system could be craned about without too much trouble I should think

there is no shortage off good spreads in ireland most are on the dole
dead right plasterman, i was asked about doing some town houses by another subby took a look at them they were about 900 sq ft all boards, £600 per house says he less tax:RpS_scared:
. you would be better of collecting jamjars

there is one thing wrong with ewi, the MONEY, what they try to flog the operatives off with. if you pay peanuts the only thing that it will attract is monkeys.

from what i saw there are to many boys trying to get money from it without getting there hands dirty, one boy was trying to get lads to base coat for £3 a meter. you would be a long time making a days pay at those rates

I have no experience of EWI but it would seem it is going the same way as the rest of our trade in that anyone can put plaster on a wall but not everyone can plaster. I have had this discussion with many builders when i explain to them that i render a wall while they just put sand & cement on it there is a worl of difference between the two! Sadly though far to many people are just interested in the bottom line and not the end result!!:-(

Suppliers are only doing themselves damage by so call training non plasterers just to make a quick buck.Has anyone an idea what the going rate is for fitting and plastering EWI as here in Ireland it started off good and within 12 Months the prices were slashed and still dropping but the workload stays the same.

Suppliers are only doing themselves damage by so call training non plasterers just to make a quick buck.Has anyone an idea what the going rate is for fitting and plastering EWI as here in Ireland it started off good and within 12 Months the prices were slashed and still dropping but the workload stays the same.

Prices are not discussed on the forum it is forum policy

If you look at EWI systems there is not a lot of skill, involved in applying it ,no ruling or rubbing up !, as long as you can swing a trowel , LOL .
so your are going to get everyone having a go !!!

If you look at EWI systems there is not a lot of skill, involved in applying it ,no ruling or rubbing up !, as long as you can swing a trowel , LOL .
i know what you mean but some of what iv,e seen was a complete joke

Sorry about that.Curious as to know why prices are not discussed

Possibly for the same reason that if someone on here asked you what your bank balance was you would more than likely tell them were to get off. But tbh not really sure...

Possibly for the same reason that if someone on here asked you what your bank balance was you would more than likely tell them were to get off. But tbh not really sure...
Prices are only discussed behind closed doors as its a public forum ,then the public would use whar they have seen to lower plasterers rate, by playing off spread against spread and this is not the right thing to do :)

ewi can be a very busy day. everything must be kept spotless, ie widow frames, door frames,soffits and pavements. acrylic can carry in the wind, you may need to cover up some parked cars.
you may have to get tons of stone up a tower block before you can dash. then there is another lorry load of materials to unload.
then they try to tell you that they can get chaps cheaper and put them in digs.
then there is tax, citb, retention, main contractors discount and they wonder why they can not get operatives in a recession.

that job i was on had a street with 25 to 30 houses all condemned, but they were passed of when first finished. what a joke the guys who were passing work had no idea what a good job looked like

dead right plasterman, i was asked about doing some town houses by another subby took a look at them they were about 900 sq ft all boards, £600 per house says he less tax:RpS_scared:
. you would be better of collecting jamjars
thats nuts best thing to do there would be to put on the whole house on in one day give it one trowel and tell him thats the standerd for that money c u n t

that job i was on had a street with 25 to 30 houses all condemned, but they were passed of when first finished. what a joke the guys who were passing work had no idea what a good job looked like

the building trade is a bit like the army. you find the biggest twit you can and put him in charge!

The suppliers are at fault for not canvising to plasterers in upskilling with EWI systems as they gave certs to anyone willing to pay for a so called 1 day course.Orinally i was on a course with a supplier which i wont mention and the class consisted of 16 men and only 3 of us were plasterers and there was a even guy there with only 1 arm.Like to see him trowing on material.
Sorry is there something wrong with disabled people getting into the building trade or are you trying to be funny you ******* prick?

Rubbish - we rule,float etc

I'll bet a skilled EWI plasterer doing refurb work to a top standard, will reach a far better standard than a traditional site plasterer/renderer....

I do both, using a fair bit of labour, and those that do EWI to the required standard knock spots off the traditional hands, in both disciplines.

I've used good traditional spreads, whose work i will vouch for, but throw them on EWI, I might as well just take me kids to work, I'd get better quality.

Rubbish - we rule,float etc

I'll bet a skilled EWI plasterer doing refurb work to a top standard, will reach a far better standard than a traditional site plasterer/renderer....

I do both, using a fair bit of labour, and those that do EWI to the required standard knock spots off the traditional hands, in both disciplines.

I've used good traditional spreads, whose work i will vouch for, but throw them on EWI, I might as well just take me kids to work, I'd get better quality.

dont agree have done both ewi is a idot proof job thats why u can train anyone to do it in aday

aye

they wanna get you in the door and churn the £150 quids over with false hope promises of being added to their subbie list etc etc. if they give a fk about quality they would get the right lads in and train em for free knowing they would be buying material.

I have never paid to do an approved applicator course.

The ones that do daily courses charging gangs 150 per head etc just think about it ? ? ? 4 days a week doing courses with gangs on every day and you think they will send you work coz your on the list ? fk me their list is 7 miles long money for old rope the rip off merchants and some of the fellers doing the course are greener than some of the lads doing the training who have been fitting EWI for 20 odd yrs and are approved with like 5 other manufacturers

no common sense about it

Last edited:
dont agree have done both ewi is a idot proof job thats why u can train anyone to do it in aday

So you've done wet/dry dash,plain,scraped ,tyrolean,renderbrick, brickslips ,thincoats in all grains - K&R, cavity rail,CP board works,etc, along with all the varying plinth work details, using all the major material suppliers and understanding their unique properties etc....

That must be some intensive course your looking at...........or you have just done a bit of silicone yourself...easy peasy...i agree but your talking one small facet in the grand scheme of things.

Nigh on 20 years of EWI application and you sound like one of those 1 day coursers

aye

they wanna get you in the door and churn the £150 quids over with false hope promises of being added to their subbie list etc etc. if they give a fk about quality they would get the right lads in and train em for free knowing they would be buying material.

I have never paid to do an approved applicator course.

The ones that do daily courses charging gangs 150 per head etc just think about it ? ? ? 4 days a week doing courses with gangs on every day and you think they will send you work coz your on the list ? fk me their list is 7 miles long money for old rope the rip off merchants and some of the fellers doing the course are greener than some of the lads doing the training who have been fitting EWI for 20 odd yrs and are approved with like 5 other manufacturers

no common sense about it

its what I always say, why pay to get on a rendering course, or some tosh approved list , every area is already catered for no matter where you are in the country. They only way you'll learn us site experience.

i have never paid to go on any approved corse either.in fact i have been paid to go on them.
we have have had operatives sent over from italy and the netherlands to train us on pilot systems that they are trying to sell to councils

I'll echo what both Owls and JFE say, though if any outfit is worth its salt, supplier will be approaching them and not the other way round

Everybody here is right but nothing changes in our trade and yet we have all the answers. Plumbers have it sorted they charge what they like and never fix **** all and still get paid regardless , answer to no one and it is accepted by all.

Status
Not open for further replies.