Everyones thoughts on domestic work ??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work for builders who have private clients don't mind that ,on a few domestics now spend most of the time running round getting materials while the lads working ,spent one day on a real site on a block of flats rendering doing 4 scaff lift panels worked our balls off worked how much money we earned and would earn the next day.packed all our gear up and never went back

The problem is that it doesn't matter whether you work on a site, for a builder, or direct for customers, you're always working for someone. Unfortunately that means you have a fair chance of ending up working for a tosser of one description or another as there are so many about.

Sadly can't have a cull and thin out the thick, ignorant and self important from the population. Something to do with not being legal to kill people. :RpS_confused:

The problem is that it doesn't matter whether you work on a site, for a builder, or direct for customers, you're always working for someone. Unfortunately that means you have a fair chance of ending up working for a tosser of one description or another as there are so many about.

Sadly can't have a cull and thin out the thick, ignorant and self important from the population. Something to do with not being legal to kill people. :RpS_confused:

I have to to disagree there buddy, I was always taught and still to this day tell people I work for myself, and I do, it's possibly why I don't get on too well on site or with builders.

if someone wants to pretend to be above me and have me 'work for them' they can pay me holiday pay, sick pay, pay my NI and tax, provide me with a van and supply me with tools, I always look at it as though I'm providing a service, which I am, as are most guys on here.

This goes for everyone, site, domestic or builders, the only thing that should dictate to a plasterer is the setting times of the gear on the wall.

Don't get me wrong Iv had my fair share of w@nkers on domestics, only this summer one customer tried to tell me I'd overcharged him on the last day of the job after he'd sat down and tried to work out my day rate, when I don't have a day rate.

builders now get a set price for extensions or renovations and re-quoted if any alterations, poor workmanship comes out of my own pocket, damaged work, they get charged £xx

large site work I wouldn't touch, it's donkey work, unless of course Kelly Brook was mixing for me topless

I have to to disagree there buddy, I was always taught and still to this day tell people I work for myself, and I do, it's possibly why I don't get on too well on site or with builders.

It's the great con, convince people that they 'work for themselves' when the truth is self employment means we actually bear all of the responsibilities of an employer and most of an employee. If we don't do work we are effectively unemployed. To do that work we have to do jobs to a customer's requirements, we have to pay tax of an amount and to a time scale dictated by HMRC. We have to fulfil obligations to the HSE and work to standards dictated by Building Control, architects, main contractors, Mrs Jones etc. We have to work at places not of our choosing.

You can choose to work or not, but self employment doesn't mean that you work for yourself.

Like you I wouldn't fancy large site work these days. When I was employed by companies I always preferred working for large outfits rather than small ones. They're just choices we have if we're lucky. If domestic work dried up or became illegal to do unless you carry a hundred million PLI or some other daft rule I'd be back on big sites until I sorted a way out of construction.

These days I work on domestic, some retail, and a couple of schools. I'm also in the fortunate position where I can choose my customers. Tosssers need not apply! :RpS_biggrin:

Doing work for and working for someone are 2 different things.

i agree with you on some points but it's a negative way to look at it, to me I don't work for Mrs Jones I do a job, provide a service for Mrs Jones.

on larger site work your told when to start and what walls to skim, domestics large or small you plan and tackle it the way you (not Mrs Jones) want to, be it a small plastering job or a decent sized rendering job.

that to me is the difference

Dont forget most of these domestics that everyone likes working on, were once housed bashed site work well at least the souless repetitive housing estates were, so it would seem to me that you can't have one without the other.
I agree its a Shame every house isnt a bespoke architecturally designed one off but then if it were we'd all be whingeing that the average uk house price was half a mill.
Personally site works treated me really well, its maybe not everyone's cup of tea but there are still a few good contractors about running decent sites and paying good

Horses for courses Scottie mate but you have more chance of banging a milf doing domestics than site work ??:RpS_thumbsup:

Or a dilf......got to take what you can these days :RpS_thumbsup:[/QUOTE
I had one today pal
attachment.php

Horses for courses Scottie mate but you have more chance of banging a milf doing domestics than site work ??:RpS_thumbsup:

You'd be welcome to em round here Greg.
There all Gilfs or even GGilfs still could get written in to a few Wills I suppose.
Plus im too tight to buy dust sheets or roll and stroll so fcuk the domestics. ;-)

i agree with you on some points but it's a negative way to look at it,

It's neither positive nor negative, just the way it is.

to me I don't work for Mrs Jones I do a job, provide a service for Mrs Jones.

That's just semantics, Mrs Jones pays you to complete a task. It's immaterial whether it's a one off or every day for thirty years.

on larger site work your told when to start and what walls to skim, domestics large or small you plan and tackle it the way you (not Mrs Jones) want to, be it a small plastering job or a decent sized rendering job.

So Mrs Jones wants the box room plastering and you decide you'd rather do the hall? That's not how it works now is it. She tells you which room or rooms you're working in which are all in her house. She tells you that you can't start before say 07:30 because the kids are getting ready for school, she needs to get the dinner on at ..... and so on.

There are undoubtedly certain freedoms or choices available to you on domestic that aren't on site work and vice versa.

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it. You can argue semantics and wrap it up anyway you like. Working on sites or working on domestics is a choice about preferences. Employed or self employed are one and the same thing just approached in a different way.

Site or domestic, employed or self employed, while you are working you are working for someone else.

It's neither positive nor negative, just the way it is.

That's just semantics, Mrs Jones pays you to complete a task. It's immaterial whether it's a one off or every day for thirty years.

So Mrs Jones wants the box room plastering and you decide you'd rather do the hall? That's not how it works now is it. She tells you which room or rooms you're working in which are all in her house. She tells you that you can't start before say 07:30 because the kids are getting ready for school, she needs to get the dinner on at ..... and so on.

There are undoubtedly certain freedoms or choices available to you on domestic that aren't on site work and vice versa.

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it. You can argue semantics and wrap it up anyway you like. Working on sites or working on domestics is a choice about preferences. Employed or self employed are one and the same thing just approached in a different way.

Site or domestic, employed or self employed, while you are working you are working for someone else.
Yeah but better chance of rattling Mrs Jones for a job well done than get raped off Mr Developer site shark!!! :RpS_confused:

I was in the back of a cab the other day, the driver said "I love being my own boss, no one tells me what to do".
"Turn left here" I said.

Yeah but better chance of rattling Mrs Jones for a job well done than get raped off Mr Developer site shark!!! :RpS_confused:

Just another choice based on your preferences. :RpS_unsure:

There is nothing wrong with any type of work us lot do. It's usually the customer that fcuk things up whoever they may be!

no, I never did say it worked like that.

your making unrealistic points.

you don't just go in and skim what you want, you are contacted to give a price to complete a job, provide a service.

they don't set the terms of pay or the date, time they want it done, YOU are telling them the price, YOU are telling them when you are available, YOU are in charge of how the job is completed, if they don't agree or like it they take their custom elsewhere.

you don't drive into the local garage, tell the mechanic you want a service and your brakes doing for £xxx, on this certain day at this certain time, he doesn't work for you from 09.30 - 11.30 while he carries out said work, he is providing a service, just like a plasterer does.

customers do not set any rules on domestics, the only thing they decide is what area they want working on and whether they are going to use you

working for yourself is just that, you pay yourself, you organise the job, you collect materials, you decide when you carry out the work, as soon as the customer agrees to that price which you have set, you tell them how it's going to happen, not the other way round.

site work is the complete opposite, they set the price (you like it or lump it) they tell you what time they expect you there, they tell you when you will be paid, they provide materials, this is not providing a service, this is working for someone else self employed or not.

There are no freedoms on site, you do what your told to do by the contracts manager/site foreman or get replaced, simple as.

When I was employed I got payed every Friday ...now I work for my self I get payed every few months but I pay subbys fortnightly ...Ive gotta finish jobs before I get payed but pay out in between for subbys

I quite like domestic,i like the variaty of the work something and somewhere different almost every day,all areas of our trade are covered in domestic work and that suits me on sites the work is devided up ie rendering,plastering,ewi,fibrous etc whitch is ok if you like just one of these but i happy with the domestic variaty,this isnt to say i wouldnt do site work if it came to it,its just what i prefer.

I miss the banter you get on site if its a good bunch but cuppa and cake that only domestic work brings sways it for me

"There are only 2 drugs tolerated in the western world, coffee monday to Friday to keep you alert enough to be a productive member of society and alcohol from friday to sunday to keep you from realising the prison you are living in" Bill hicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.