Everyones thoughts on domestic work ??

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do both site and domestic, not huge sites, whatever pays, its hard chopping and changing but a change is good at times..

i am going crazy working on my own though :RpS_blink:

Same here, I've started to sing to myself in an Asian accent to Beatles songs.
Then when the radio is off I talk out loud in a Scouse or cockney accent and calling myself Dave. Is this normal? :RpS_blink:

Domestics pain in the arse sheeting out especially upstairs ,when you've gotta get the water out the bathroom,you tip the plaster in the bucket put your whisk in plug it into the socket and you forget the triggers jammed **** goes everwhere ffs!

Whichever pays.
Works work and ill take whatever is on offer.
Sites tend to be easier for the sake of cleaning and access in rooms.

Domestics are good....Coz well you get paid the day it's done generally..

we only work on private jobs now. we like to be paid in full on completion of the work.
site work has been cut to the bone as your earnings are capped. all you will get on site is hard work and you will earn every penny that you receive. less 20%.

we only work on private jobs now. we like to be paid in full on completion of the work.
site work has been cut to the bone as your earnings are capped. all you will get on site is hard work and you will earn every penny that you receive. less 20%.
do you not have to pay tax on domestic jobs?

Domestics pain in the arse sheeting out especially upstairs ,when you've gotta get the water out the bathroom,you tip the plaster in the bucket put your whisk in plug it into the socket and you forget the triggers jammed **** goes everwhere ffs!

Lol

**** me this place really is full of wankers with no conception of the real world I can't handle it any more you're far too ******* strange for my liking
it's been nice knowing some of you I hang the towel in I've run out of patience

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, I've started to sing to myself in an Asian accent to Beatles songs.
Then when the radio is off I talk out loud in a Scouse or cockney accent and calling myself Dave. Is this normal? :RpS_blink:

you think thats bad i ad radio on dancing round getting proper in to me dance moves to remember i was working in an empty shop with big window with people walking past staring in lol

**** me this place really is full of wankers with no conception of the real world I can't handle it any more you're far too ******* strange for my liking
it's been nice knowing some of you I hang the towel in I've run out of patience
i know this is an old thread ,but Dave i was only having a laugh :RpS_crying:

Here they would call site work "commercial work" I used to mostly do site work before I went on my own, my Dad's company used to work on a lot of schools and everything else. I found that I prefer working on nice homes, lower end houses in these parts you probably wouldn't see many plasterers working on them. I always hated the theft problem on commercial work, so many people working coming and going you have to lock down anything you aren't using at the moment.

Site work around Yorkshire is $hit, plain and simple.

last I saw was a few weeks ago £2.50 skim £2.40 d&d, as said on a previous post, you have to fu ck about taking tools home every night and in every morning, fight with other guys over big areas, fight with H&S over glasses, chase your money and it's just 1 massive ball ache, too many main contractors still use the recession as an excuse to pay poor m2 prices.

Another problem is site work is dressed up to sound great, we've all heard "massive runs" "loads of areas" and found it to be bull$hit when there.

5 years ago I was driving 120 miles a day, working 8 hours and getting £64.00 then minus fuel when said "big areas" weren't ready, oh yeah in -10 on some days, on good days I could knock out 70-80 m2 but it was very rare such areas where ready.

id rather work in Tesco than drive up m1, bust a bollock working in freezing cold with a risk of not getting paid at the end, to line some ***** pocket who sits in an office fingering his QS.

i stick to domestics, insurance, small commercial priced work and rendering, pay is way better and answer to nobody.

only downside is you do need to invest in your business, but it was probably the best decision I ever made to set up on my own.

Also too many snakes in site work, you can meet guys who are spot on at first but when it comes to money, it talks.

people now get 1 chance with me, if they don't pay and don't have a pretty good excuse it comes back of the wall, couldn't give a fook if it's 1 wall plastered or a full house rendered.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]too many main contractors still use the recession as an excuse to pay poor m2 prices, and they will do for years to come
[/FONT]

Do a variation of site, domestic and private builds. Basically work for whoever phones wanting plastering or rendering done.

I mostly stick to working for local builders and domestic, can't be doing with all the shite that come with site work, like jumped up foremen dishing out red and yellow cards like some sort of football match

Status
Not open for further replies.