Ever thought about taking on an apprentice?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geason

Geason could help you claim down £5000 in grants for the privledge.

The young apprentice would be working with yourself daily only going to our training centre 6 weeks throughout the year.
2 weeks at the start, 2 in the middle and 2 at the end of the apprenticeship.

This could be an extra bit of help for yourself with very little cost as the grants would cover 50%+ of the apprentice's wages.

If you would like any more information then please give me a call. :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
difficult one this one geason,on one hand I can see and understand where you are coming from,and also appreciate you are putting in some effort to get somebody a job, hopefully the apprentice as you call him will equally be as keen and eager to learn the trade,.... but the way I read it is he will be at tech for just 2 weeks at the start then on site ,whereby the plasterer he will be with will basically be doing the teachers work in training him how to plaster/behaviour etc etc and then at the end of the 12 month period he could jump ship and leave, and become a competitor pricing work/getting jobs etc, ..... be honest put yourself in the plasterers position what would you do/how would you feel,.... but deep down the big hurdle is people like myself who have served an apprenticeship ,feel a tad annoyed on this coarser system nowadays, but unfourtanetly it is here to stay, on a earlier post some months ago I made the comment that the coarser on one job I went to could not plaster ceilings, this is basic stuff and yet he was going round calling himself a plasterer, ...as I said difficult one this one but keep us posted on your views and does anybody take you up.

Bloody hell @hector has the doctor taken you off Prozac or something, cheer up buddy we all started of as apprentices so it's only right we hand the knowledge down.

How does this work then ? Do you have a list of potential apprentices nationwide ? I must admit I'm quite interested in this

Tell us more john, how did he start with you? Would you take another? How many did you filter through before he turned up?
He started as a labourer as most do,got handy after a while,I had probably 3 others over the years,my cousin,he plasters and builds full time,another cousin in Australia doing concrete now, another lad who did about four years.people come and go,some don't ever shape up,it's attitude "too important" syndrome,they need to be the king..
wouldnt do it again,48 now,patience gas gone,interest too..

Geason could help you claim down £5000 in grants for the privledge.

The young apprentice would be working with yourself daily only going to our training centre 6 weeks throughout the year.
2 weeks at the start, 2 in the middle and 2 at the end of the apprenticeship.

This could be an extra bit of help for yourself with very little cost as the grants would cover 50%+ of the apprentice's wages.

If you would like any more information then please give me a call. :RpS_thumbsup:
Where's the training centre? What will they learn, who will teaching and what qualifications will they achieve? Cheers

I get a flurry of letters with some good, some bad, some unintelligible cv's from Barking and Dagenham council college at the end of their school, lol, year.
Ring some of he ones I can read and say, listen mate (Bruv), I'll give you a 2 week trial, if it works out ok for both of us, make it more permanent, I'll pay cash at 1st to see how it works out.
invariably these East London Bruvs want a 3 year apprenticeship innit, wiv sick pay.
their lecturers lol, pho and say they want to site visit to see the H/S on a room o/skim Ffs

I'm on my third in 4 years.2 still on the books.all good lads.the funding is very misleading though.you get the final payment,which is a third of the money upto 3 years after they start

Hi Guys, sorry just seen all the replies i will answer all individually.

How does this work then ? Do you have a list of potential apprentices nationwide ? I must admit I'm quite interested in this

Hiya, what we do is interview as many possible applicant as possible. We would then bring between 3-5 of the best applicants to see yourself for another interview in order for you to take on the 1 that suits you and your company best.

The more we grow and the more interviews we do then we will end up with a bank of apprentices ready for employment all over England.

At present we have 30 youngsters in the plymouth area ready to start as soon as a company wants them to. The reason we have so many in Plymough is because we had companies in that aera interested.

Our training centre is in Altrincham.

Where's the training centre? What will they learn, who will teaching and what qualifications will they achieve? Cheers

As above, training centre is in Altrincham, they would learn all aspects of Plastering or External Wall/Dry Lining if you wanted them to go down that apprenticeship.

At the end of the apprenticeship they will achieve their NVQ level 2.

I get a flurry of letters with some good, some bad, some unintelligible cv's from Barking and Dagenham council college at the end of their school, lol, year.
Ring some of he ones I can read and say, listen mate (Bruv), I'll give you a 2 week trial, if it works out ok for both of us, make it more permanent, I'll pay cash at 1st to see how it works out.
invariably these East London Bruvs want a 3 year apprenticeship innit, wiv sick pay.
their lecturers lol, pho and say they want to site visit to see the H/S on a room o/skim Ffs

:RpS_laugh:

Our recruitment team would only put forward the most suitable of applicants to yourself Bruv :RpS_laugh: :RpS_thumbsup:

I'm on my third in 4 years.2 still on the books.all good lads.the funding is very misleading though.you get the final payment,which is a third of the money upto 3 years after they start

Hi Bobby, im not sure why it is up to 3 years after they start. Depending on what apprenticeship we do the longest 1 is only 2 years.

Yes the money is split up with some at the start, some in the middle and some at the end.

This has to happen this way incase the apprenticeship does not complete for whatever reason either if it is down to the apprentice or the employer.

Take it this is England only?

Hi Stuart

Yes at the moment most of what we do is in England, we do have a training centre in falkirk also so if we had the demand in Scotland then we would open to talks.

What we mostly use Falkirk for is upskilling External Wall Installers with 2 week courses.

Hi Bobby, im not sure why it is up to 3 years after they start. Depending on what apprenticeship we do the longest 1 is only 2 years.

Yes the money is split up with some at the start, some in the middle and some at the end.

This has to happen this way incase the apprenticeship does not complete for whatever reason either if it is down to the apprentice or the employer.

My guys have been attending college.they have had a lack of assessor's coming out to visit them also the teachers at the college have been very inexperienced.
The whole city and guilds thing is a bit of a joke really.i have out guys through the nvq level 2 in 3 months,one visit involved a a bit of paperwork
I'm doing my level 3 through you guys and have got half way through it and found out its more of a managerial qualification than a skill card.

Hiya, what we do is interview as many possible applicant as possible. We would then bring between 3-5 of the best applicants to see yourself for another interview in order for you to take on the 1 that suits you and your company best.

The more we grow and the more interviews we do then we will end up with a bank of apprentices ready for employment all over England.

At present we have 30 youngsters in the plymouth area ready to start as soon as a company wants them to. The reason we have so many in Plymough is because we had companies in that aera interested.

Our training centre is in Altrincham.

Ok thanks, well if you get any interest from lads around the north herts area ideally Stevenage hitchin or letchworth area, then I would be interested in this.

My guys have been attending college.they have had a lack of assessor's coming out to visit them also the teachers at the college have been very inexperienced.
The whole city and guilds thing is a bit of a joke really.i have out guys through the nvq level 2 in 3 months,one visit involved a a bit of paperwork
I'm doing my level 3 through you guys and have got half way through it and found out its more of a managerial qualification than a skill card.

Hi Bobby

As the guys we deliver NVQ's too are experienced then it is just a case of following the portfolio through to completion for our Assessors. As for the timescale of the NVQ that is all dictated too by the college who gives us the funding, same again we have to follow the college rules or we lose our funding.

The level 3 qualification that we deliver is a supervisor's qualification, this seems to be a very popular NVQ to go through at present and we only have this funding in certain areas of the country. There must have been some confusion when you agreed to the Level 3 as we dont do this for Plastering and EWI, The only level 3 we deliver is the supervisors qualification.

Any problems just give me a call Bobby and i will help as much as i can.

Liam

Ok thanks, well if you get any interest from lads around the north herts area ideally Stevenage hitchin or letchworth area, then I would be interested in this.

Hi GPS, if you pm me your number i will give you a call on Monday and see what we can do for you.

Liam

Hi Stuart

Yes at the moment most of what we do is in England, we do have a training centre in falkirk also so if we had the demand in Scotland then we would open to talks.

What we mostly use Falkirk for is upskilling External Wall Installers with 2 week courses.

Better together they said, we're all in this together, no to independence. As it stands if your English you can get an nvq fully funded, thousands for taking on an apprentice while in scotland they've just found new oil fields in the North Sea to fund all this, we have to pay 5p for every Carrier bag we use and now the drink drive limit is getting lowered to a point where I don't know if I can have a can of Stella after work for fear of being over in the morning. Aye, better together all right.

Better together they said, we're all in this together, no to independence. As it stands if your English you can get an nvq fully funded, thousands for taking on an apprentice while in scotland they've just found new oil fields in the North Sea to fund all this, we have to pay 5p for every Carrier bag we use and now the drink drive limit is getting lowered to a point where I don't know if I can have a can of Stella after work for fear of being over in the morning. Aye, better together all right.

Remind how much your prescriptions are again

We just had a lad start with us who done a whole year in college (2 n half days a week) on an nvq course or similar.
When we handed him the handboard and trowel he struggled to get the gear from 1 to the other without screeding the floor. In the end we had to stop him it was costing us money.

He was a nice enough lad mind you and we were happy to keep him on, we ended up restricting to labouring duties due to his ability being nothing for the mean time.

He just left last week. Not for him, too hard. Etc.

God knows what goes on on the course but after a year at college he had no skill set.

Needles to say we had 3 lads this year all pack in because its "too hard a graft".

Anyway we need another lad now to look after our machine. Any takers.

We want to see how it goes with someone for a few weeks first just in case their arms snap or something before we even consider a signed up apprentice

We just had a lad start with us who done a whole year in college (2 n half days a week) on an nvq course or similar.
When we handed him the handboard and trowel he struggled to get the gear from 1 to the other without screeding the floor. In the end we had to stop him it was costing us money.

He was a nice enough lad mind you and we were happy to keep him on, we ended up restricting to labouring duties due to his ability being nothing for the mean time.

God knows what goes on on the course but after a year at college he had no skill set.

Needles to say we had 3 lads this year all pack in because its "too hard a graft".

We want to see how it goes with someone for a few weeks first just in case their arms snap or something before we even consider a signed up apprentice

Thats the problem with young lads nowadays, none of them are up for a bit of graft, they want do fook all + pick up a good wage for it! I cudnt wait get stuck in when i left school! Lad iv got with me now keeps sayin he wants learn but hes got no initiative, always waitin for me tell him wot do next, drives me mad!

It's to hard for them and you use a machine?
How would they handle mixer to barrow,to bucket to spot board???

I would take a few on however we are spraying pre mixed almost constantly now and I doubt this is relevant to the NVQs

We got paid by randy on the first phase. Didn't work on the next phase. 3rd phase went airless for Randy which we completed but was a nightmare. We got paid by CLC direct for that.

next phase we took on direct in multi no issues. just started next phase and we are back to spraying

:RpS_laugh:

That's where our recruitment campaign is vital as is the first 2 weeks in our Altrincham training centre. The good thing about our recruitment campaigns for each employer is that we see a load of young people and only put forward ones that we are sure will finish the apprenticeship to a high standard.

If you are interested in possibly taking on an apprentice i could arrange for someone to come out and see you for a coffee to discuss it if you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.