Evening all, weird one!

Members online

Bazwell

Howdy everyone I’m Baz, been on here for a little while having a little browse etc
started doing some chasing out on a house I’ve just bought and come across kind of prefab internal walls! Look like the egg crate plasterboard walls but they’re solid and fairly strong!
i‘ve ordered vertical rads for the whole of upstairs and wondered if you guys have come across this before and, well basically if they’ll be strong enough to hold them!
I’ve seen the Timco spring toggles at screwfix and also ordered some blue Gripit’S but any help would be mucho appreciado

Baz

Attachments

• 7DDE1CFE-6B5A-4EF1-8B34-D0C0E8B1A530.jpeg
    7DDE1CFE-6B5A-4EF1-8B34-D0C0E8B1A530.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 275
  • 82A54382-3825-4960-81FC-A43616BD6770.jpeg
    82A54382-3825-4960-81FC-A43616BD6770.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 259
blue Peter houses! I think you saved so many tokens and a kind of diy sos team came and built you a house! It’s very normal don’t worry just slap some bags in there and fill out with bonding (y)

Howdy everyone I’m Baz, been on here for a little while having a little browse etc
started doing some chasing out on a house I’ve just bought and come across kind of prefab internal walls! Look like the egg crate plasterboard walls but they’re solid and fairly strong!
i‘ve ordered vertical rads for the whole of upstairs and wondered if you guys have come across this before and, well basically if they’ll be strong enough to hold them!
I’ve seen the Timco spring toggles at screwfix and also ordered some blue Gripit’S but any help would be mucho appreciado

Baz
I'd be worried about the weight if the rads are heavy , cut the rear of the stud ( egg box ) wall put in some battens in line with rad fixings

Also check the rads you want aren't one way direction flow or your pipes may be wrong way round

Used on loads of old wimpy houses. You don’t normally chase it as you can push oval conduit through it. I wouldn’t be hanging a vertical rad on that shite.

Baz
Paramount boards popular in the 80s will need to watch that you put the toggles between the egg formation

Chatting s**t.
Iv not seen a set of valves for over 10 years which aren’t bi flow directional.
The direction of flow has nothing at all to do with the radiator it’s the thermostatic radiator valve which used to be fussy over the flow direction. However now days it doesn’t matter at all. Scaremongering

Baz
How thick r the walls ?they look like same construction as mine
For fixing u could sink some wood strips in the wall fir rads etc

Iv not seen a set of valves for over 10 years which aren’t bi flow directional.
The direction of flow has nothing at all to do with the radiator it’s the thermostatic radiator valve which used to be fussy over the flow direction. However now days it doesn’t matter at all. Scaremongering
Some rads have baffles in to direct the hot inlet upwards and so are supposed to be hung the right way round for efficiency lol

Paramount walls are terrible... What ever you do dont chance the door case as its a main brace for the wall.......

Oh yeah chases aren’t a problem to fill, main concern is the weight of nice shiney new expensive rads the missus wanted!
the walls definitely aren’t the shitty lightweight plasterboard egg box walls, the x bracing inside them is plaster!! So yeah very much a new one to me

Doesn’t seem to be timber uprights in there, looks to be about 12mm plaster, plaster x bracing then another 12mm odd
To knock on them you’d just think they were block! House is 60’s so yeah I’m pretty baffled

Some rads have baffles in to direct the hot inlet upwards and so are supposed to be hung the right way round for efficiency lol
Show me 1 then
Hot water rises that’s how every radiator in the country works.

Show me 1 then
Hot water rises that’s how every radiator in the country works.
when the plumbing shop opens I will ring and ask for specific model details for your entertainment lol

Cheers bricki , couldn't be arsed to search net
Or you could just admit you are wrong. A radiator doesn’t need baffles to make the heat rise
No worries it's not common , the idea of the baffle is to direct hot up , the cold is forced down , more common in posh rads especially tall narrow ones where in and out at a short distance the hot in doesn't completely rise immediately and gets sucked out which shuts the thermo valve.

Don't forget
ceiling board ends mid joists ,
Double visit skim,
Don't need to devil float if you got the right sand
All bullshit mate

Oh yeah chases aren’t a problem to fill, main concern is the weight of nice shiney new expensive rads the missus wanted!
the walls definitely aren’t the shitty lightweight plasterboard egg box walls, the x bracing inside them is plaster!! So yeah very much a new one to me
Just the weight of rads an issue lol

is you house a factory built ? there were walls, plaster slab, finished in the factory, no plastering.
Malc to the rescue , as per
Apologies @Bazwell thought it was the cardboard insert stuck between two plaster boards .
It's very unusual that a thread goes off piste on TPF lol
Who made these type @malc ?

that’s alright! But it does seem like that, factory built
I’ve worked on loads of houses in the area and very much not come across this before!

Googled paramount I always thought they were called egg box boards , still wouldn't hang rads without batten imo kid proof