Efflorescence

Members online

GeoffH

Hi,

I've had this problem in one of the pillars, the left side only, next to our patio doors for over 10 years. I try to fix it but it keeps coming back. It also occurs in the same wall in the two flats above use. One I think is caused by condensation from metal windows, we don't have that.

I've applied silicone brick sealer on the outside bricks, checked the door frame, behind which is expanding foam, last weekend cleaned off powder, applied vinegar, then Zinser BIN. Painted over and today it's re-appeared!

It generally only happens when it rains, earlier this year I replaced part of the frame of the window to the left and nothing has appeared there since. It's mostly the right side, where the patio door frame is, and the wall face.

What to do now??

Photos attached.

Thanks.

Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 232
Hi,

I've had this problem in one of the pillars, the left side only, next to our patio doors for over 10 years. I try to fix it but it keeps coming back. It also occurs in the same wall in the two flats above use. One I think is caused by condensation from metal windows, we don't have that.

I've applied silicone brick sealer on the outside bricks, checked the door frame, behind which is expanding foam, last weekend cleaned off powder, applied vinegar, then Zinser BIN. Painted over and today it's re-appeared!

It generally only happens when it rains, earlier this year I replaced part of the frame of the window to the left and nothing has appeared there since. It's mostly the right side, where the patio door frame is, and the wall face.

What to do now??

Photos attached.

Thanks.

Geoff
Dash of salt?

Sorry for my late reply.

The seal around the window is good, it's silicone, I did it myself. I'm attaching some extra photos of the exterior showing the window - the troublesome wall is to the left, and the patio door frame - the wall is to the right.

The pillar is brick with plaster over it and various coats of paints over the years.

This time, the problem first appeared on the side of the wall next to the patio doors. Having treated and repainted that, it's now appearing on the face of the wall as shown in my first photos. I think it will re-appear on the side next to the doors, but hasn't appeared on the side next to the window...yet

Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 214