Edging/beading.. Corners

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiffa25

Hey all,

Bit of advice on skimming. I'm just learning and more of a DIY with it really but how do you make a neat external corner?

Obviously got beads on the corners and I notice Pro's usually leave the tip of the metal showing through when they have finished a wall... Mine look messy...

Is it just a case of scrapping it off with trowel as your skimming to leave the edge clean or do you run a brush down it??

Cheers guys

Just scrap the bead down every time you've trowel up the wall. you only need a brush for your ceiling and wall angles

Ahh thanks mate. Think coz I'm rushing so much fighting against time I neglect corners tidy work ect...

Will have to take more care! Lol

hi clean as you go and after your final trowel use your internal corner trowel back to front and run it up and down the bead to clean it off be careful though its only for scraping back the exposed metal not for geting your external angle right If that makes sense make sure the sidesof this trowel do not touch/damage the walls.

hi clean as you go and after your final trowel use your internal corner trowel back to front and run it up and down the bead to clean it off be careful though its only for scraping back the exposed metal not for geting your external angle right If that makes sense make sure the sidesof this trowel do not touch/damage the walls.
you shouldnt scrape beads with your trowel it takes the galvinisation off them and they can then rust just trowel up them and wipe with your finger any excess fat off

Cricky, holy hell batman !

Look just WORK TOO THE BEAD, if you do that you wont have problem mate, by all means run your splash down them as I am sure we all do and "work the trowel to the bead.
Any fat that has built up will be pushed onto the bead, just brush it and trowel up, remember as you are at the finishing the bead should be clean anyway. If there is anything on the bead use your "tickler" to remove.

Practice makes perfect.

Rock on !

Plastermind,

if you do actually scrape the bead "to much" with your trowel which as tradesman we don't do , d.i.y.ers will take some of the galv of the steel bead.
95% of metal beads are galvanized to stem of rust at between 60 and 300 microns, I cant remember the exact figure but it is a real easy to expose the mild steel underneath, then hence the rust.
We have all seen it.
Stainless is the way forward or plastic (exterior).

rock on !

knock the galv off??? :RpS_scared:

you cant use plastic on old houses :RpS_scared: imagine trying to get a straight plum edge on an old 1800's house that has wooden angle beads (cant remember the proper name)

The galvs are sh1te compared to what they used to be like, I swear you could cut your fingers on them with the amount of zinc on 'em :-0

knock the galv off??? :RpS_scared:

you cant use plastic on old houses :RpS_scared: imagine trying to get a straight plum edge on an old 1800's house that has wooden angle beads (cant remember the proper name) "mop stick"

Status
Not open for further replies.