Early cavity walls, soft reds, lime mortar, snapped headers. Advice needed please?

Hertzfield

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have spent quite some time googling but can't seem to find a straight answer.

I have a fairly unusual house construction that has what I've been told is an early cavity wall with snapped headers to look like a solid "Flemish bond" also the leafs of brick are tied together by bricks bridging the cavities rather than metal wall ties. The bricks are soft reds with lime mortar and the internal plaster is lime. The cavity is approx 70mm & the bricks 110mm to each leaf.

Some areas need re plastering and I wondered if there are any options for insulating.

From the research I have done any solid wall needs lime plaster to be breathable but is that the case for the type of cavity wall I have?

Is it ok to insulate or plaster with non breathable materials since it has a cavity.

Thanks

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have spent quite some time googling but can't seem to find a straight answer.

I have a fairly unusual house construction that has what I've been told is an early cavity wall with snapped headers to look like a solid "Flemish bond" also the leafs of brick are tied together by bricks bridging the cavities rather than metal wall ties. The bricks are soft reds with lime mortar and the internal plaster is lime. The cavity is approx 70mm & the bricks 110mm to each leaf.

Some areas need re plastering and I wondered if there are any options for insulating.

From the research I have done any solid wall needs lime plaster to be breathable but is that the case for the type of cavity wall I have?

Is it ok to insulate or plaster with non breathable materials since it has a cavity.

Thanks
if you want to retro-fit insulation on a wall that needs to breathe, stud the wall out with gap at top and bottom ( 2-3 inches will do ) board the wall with whatever insulation board you decide to use then fix a vent in one corner at bottom of wall and fix another vent at top on opposite side of wall

Me personally would say use a gypliner system which is metal stud on the inside and thermaline super insulted plasterboard as thick as you can afford , or check out wood fibre boards and a l*m*-g***n finish on them