Dust sheets

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
As ive just started up on my own ive turned into one tight fu**er as every penny counts in the first 12 months.
So my question is for dust sheets. When there scabby
Do you 1. Buy new ones
2. Wash them at home
3. Wash them at a laundrette.

Dust sheets are rubbish. I have a few that I use as runners. I use massive tarps for the mucky stuff. A million times better... water resistant, and can be washed clean... if money's tight.

Just price in your sheets into the job like you do everything else!! Ive seen this sticky back carpet protecter on a roll, not used it but could be a new avenue to explore?? Anyone seen/used these??

i just use tarps for the room and the 3 foot x 15 foot dust sheets for the hallway runners...
the tarp gets rolled up, shoved in the back of the van and left in the garden open...
i use a different one next day sort of rotate em... ive got 4 i think at the mo... and a few old scabby ones i sometimes drop back of the van to load onto etc...
when its a dry day i spread em out and run a yardbrush over em, fold em up and wang em back in the van...
dust sheets are a t**t to clean, hold loads of dust (the twill ones anyway) so i end up hanging em over the washing line and picking any lumps of plaster off so it dont end up in the washer then wash em maybe once every month or so...

use the plastic back ones , waterproof, well made, cost about 15quid for 12 by 9 sheet......ive had mine for a year or so.....money wel spent in my book .use a weathersheild waterproof sheet for mixing up on ......used to use small tarp but the weatherfeild does the job better...one shake at end of day and rolls up nice and small( would like a nice 2m by 2m rubbertarp tho about 60 quid or so)..have normal dustsheets for walk way areas but the german waterproof f**k**s for plastering areas...i havnt bought dusties for months....and never wash em throw em

MY mate chucked his in the washing machine..... Then the next day took his not very happy mrs out to but a nice new one :D :D :D

Tarps for the room I'm working in and stairs sheets from the front door to where I'm working.

I buy new ones fairly often.

Big Mart said:
Just price in your sheets into the job like you do everything else!! Ive seen this sticky back carpet protecter on a roll, not used it but could be a new avenue to explore?? Anyone seen/used these??

Used this stuff on a bank job a while ago. Not THAT kind of bank job! :eek:

Was a bank refit for RBoS and they had carpet tiles down. Glued before the taping was done, daft c**ts. Anyway, you wack it down make a mess then hoover it up and lift it then next night put more down. This was a 6pm till 3am sitation where the bank was actually open during normal working hours. For me a dust sheet would've been quicker to use but they spec'd we use this just to be safe. Fine for that kind of stuff but you just can beat a big ol dust sheet for every day use.

The real question should be fabric or plastic......

cotton sheets for me if i can they last a while if u pick the big bits of n shake em out,got a 2x1 heavy duty tarp for knocking up on had it for about 3 years now still going strong n i found it fly tipped :D that carpet protector stuffs good if u need to use stilts saves getting tangled up in sheets n ending up on the deck :mad:

PhilPlaster said:
As ive just started up on my own ive turned into one tight fu**er as every penny counts in the first 12 months.
So my question is for dust sheets. When there scabby
Do you 1. Buy new ones
2. Wash them at home
3. Wash them at a laundrette.

You sound like a man after my own heart! I tried washing mine the other day - soaked in the bath first and then put them through the washing machine - did the job but was a hell of a mess - glad that I did it when my misses was out! When worked out how long it took me x hourly rate I would have been cheaper to buy a new one. I use the tin poly ones over furniture 'cos otherwise the dust from the sheet cover the furniture - they can normally be used a couple of times if you aint too messy. Looking at using this hippo carpet protection - cos it may work out cheaper if I don't have to do 1 hour + with henry the hoover - the problem I can see is that with dust sheets I leave any snots to pick up before I clean them up ('cos its less mess) with hippo I am gonna have to clean up straight away cos otherwise I am gonna be paddling around in it!

Those Henrys patcher! You end up with the thing stuck on a chair leg or something and when you turn around to rag it via the hose its got this annoying smily face just taunting me. Bast*rd! :D

PhilPlaster said:
Those Henrys patcher! You end up with the thing stuck on a chair leg or something and when you turn around to rag it via the hose its got this annoying smily face just taunting me. Bast*rd! :D

Henry's face isn't annoying - he's always happy and he always willing to do a good days work - admittedly his conversation and banter ain't great but he's never said a bad word against me - not unless he's been talking to dust buster behind my back!!! ;D

I buy 10 every 6 month from dbp they are 50 so I put the new ones down 1st then old ones on top I never wash them I've tryed carpet protectors and tarps found them to slippy

I tell the customers to throw some old sheets down for me and the when i turn up i throw my big old scaby one over the top of them, used to use tarps and they are good but they slide to much for me unless you use masking tape to keep them in place ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.