Dumbed down ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Having read some of the recent posts regarding sponge floats,spatulas etc and whether it makes a difference if you start floating from right to left or vice versa (sorry Danny) i am starting to wonder if any traditional ( dashing,screeding,rendering,float and set etc)plasterers still exist.Just an observation and no slur intended (Henry and fellow vets know where i am coming from)

Having read some of the recent posts regarding sponge floats,spatulas etc and whether it makes a difference if you start floating from right to left or vice versa (sorry Danny) i am starting to wonder if any traditional ( dashing,screeding,rendering,float and set etc)plasterers still exist.Just an observation and no slur intended (Henry and fellow vets know where i am coming from)
we do exist over here there are no other kind of plasterers u have to float if u want to skim

Bill I consider myself fairly traditional in my style of plastering but if something new or a new twist on on an old idea (sponge float) comes along it's just foolish to ignore it. There are fewer and fewer in the trade that can (and I don't mean talk about) do solid plastering, especially with S&C to a high standard, and do you know what that just suits me fine. Just this week I've had a call from a builder who's doing six houses, when asked if he wanted dabbing or solid he was in no doubt he wanted a good solid job with S&C. Great that does away with 80% of the competition.

Andy do most of your builders want s/c? I don't think I've ever worked for a builder who didn't want dabbed walls. I tried to get a few to change their minds when I first went on my tod but they're having none of it. As far as they see it they can paint a week later and that's the end of it

Andy do most of your builders want s/c? I don't think I've ever worked for a builder who didn't want dabbed walls. I tried to get a few to change their minds when I first went on my tod but they're having none of it. As far as they see it they can paint a week later and that's the end of it

Some but not all Steve, I do persuade some to change to S&C but some still want it dabbed.
I just don't get this about the painting.
Take a typical four bed house.
Day 1 Bead and prepare whole house load out mats etc.
Days 2-5 Float through from top to bottom, clean out and get ready for skimming.
Days 6-7 Weekend
Days 8-9 Skim ceilings starting at top and working top to bottom again.
Days 10-13 Skim walls in the same sequence they were floated.
Days 14-15 Weekend
Day 16 Finish skimming, clean out and away.
That's working as a 1:1 but even working as a 2:1 it's going to get about nine days or so before the next trade.
Next in chippy and then decorator, now you can't tell me that it's not ready for painting by then.

very true. i think its just that most builders are bodging c.unts. and they like to dab themselves. and as for site work, well i have no idea. its not quicker, its not cheaper. and the end product is s**t.

One thing I will say Bill is don't believe everything you read on here :RpS_wink:

If you want a quality job that will last a for hundreds of years then yes float & set in S & c is the way to go.
However it takes forever to dry out in the winter can feel a bit cold and suffers from shinkage cracks,(remember what they used to say" don't decorate your new house for six months").
And its F***** hard work, as a fossil I don't think I could float all day in s & c any more.

One of the reasons I found this place to start with was because, having been on domestics & small developments only for the last 20+ years I felt that I was way out of touch with the modern systems and methods available, so therefore may be losing my competitve edge.............learn something every day:RpS_thumbup:

Yes Barry I gotta admit i did try it a few times myself, but nowadays i just bang onecoat of skim on don't trowel it then sandback when dry :RpS_thumbup:

photo-462.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.