Dry lining a old wall where the Plaster has fallen off

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Server

i currently have a room, where on one wall the plaster (skim of sand and bit of cement mix) as that poor, that it has all come loose / fallen off. As such i will be stripping it back to he brick. The questions is as such:-

Should, I re plaster the wall (on the brick) with base coat of browning and a skim of finish

Or,
my preference

Dry line the wall with plaster board.
If I dry line the wall, do I need to batten the wall with wood to fasten the plaster board to the battens with screws or do I just 'dab' the plasterboard on the brick with adhesive.

Apologies if these are very basic questions, but I am new to a large job like this.

Yes, it is an external wall, but it is a cavety wall. I.E. Proper brick on the outside, with a gap and then breeze brick on the inside.

It's on the ground floor. (There is a damp proof course below the suspended floor, can be seen from the outside. The suspended floor is floorboards/chipboard)

House was built about mid 1960's

Yes, it is an external wall, but it is a cavety wall. I.E. Proper brick on the outside, with a gap and then breeze brick on the inside.

It's on the ground floor. (There is a damp proof course below the suspended floor, can be seen from the outside. The suspended floor is floorboards/chipboard)

House was built about mid 1960's

Dot&dab and board is best way to tackle that one. Wee tip though, if your lookibg for a fun day doing it, go buy your bags of board gear out of same yard as spunkface did. :frio::frio:

If it's your own house I wouldn't go near it with dot and dab. Use the 50mm plasterboard/insulation board. Cover the wall with gyproc wallboard adhesive then pull a tiling trowel across it. Then fix with the 100mm mushroom pins.

I think the dot and dab allows for cold spots to build up between the plasterboard and the wall. Because the cavity not insulated properly.

I would just dab it. Why would you get cold spots?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Did a job last summer on an old farm house which suffered from damp ( which had been sorted prior to our works ), the manufacturer of the adhesive would no guarantee the product unless it was mechanically fixed as well ( all most;y to do with client interference )

Some of the walls we just battened them out with dpc on the back the timber and screwed Boards on .

As long as there no serious damp problems etc i would just dab it

get a scraper , shovel , old trowel or owt that's gorra a bit o b*ll***s,,,,,,,scrape the wall completely down to the brickwork ...check the mortar joints ...PVA the wall to kill the dust and a bit of suction this help you when throwin on the dab as it wont roll on the dust ...best results dot & dab insulated

Status
Not open for further replies.