''Down time''

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMK

Apart from sitting on your hands waiting for the phone to ring what do you guys do if you haven't any work on?

The only reason I ask is because this is my first year in business and the quietest time of the year is just around the corner. I'm ok up until Christmas at the mo, but wouldn't mind having a back up plan if the worst should happen whereby I get no calls in December for work to book in for January.

There must be some skill we have as plasterers which would enable us to set up a 'side line' business to rude us out through the tough times. I have builder friends who carve stone in their down time, a tree surgeon friend who manufactures ornaments out of the timber he has dropped in the previous months.

Any ideas?

Good attitude mate.
Most of my work is domestic tho, so not sure how that'll work.
I assume you're a site worker...?

Sell a load of stuff on ebay,just think a million items for one pound =one million pounds.[wishing]

I don't like sitting on my hands, i prefer them doon my shorts. It keeps me out of trouble and costs nowt!! :RpS_laugh:

rent a unit on a farm and start teaching people to plaster in a week. seriously though, a couple of times ive been down to my last few days and works always come in. got let down on a job i was supposed to start today, 2 weeks work. a couple of phone calls and i'm booked up for weeks again. if you're good something will always come up mate

thats it mate, there can be as many s**t plasterers as you want, but they won't get repeat work and there will always be customers who know what is a good job and decent builders to work for (yes they do exist). i had a guy call me last week to go and price some work, i'd worked for his sister and his nephew a few times before. i phoned him the other day to give him his price, he said he'd had another bloke give him a quote, he was cheaper and could do it before me, yet he still wanted me to do it as i came as a recommendation.

I'm lucky that this winter I got a property to do up. Money is in place ready to go, so when it's quiet I'll be on with that. Just hope the house prices don't tumble too much for when I sell it :-0

nice work bubbles!
that would eventually be the plan, but think i'd better learn to walk before i can run.

see how this year goes then poss get a hideous wreck of a house that could be worth a trillion quid when it's been tarted up!

wheres abouts up north you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.