Dot/Dab to cover cavity?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidex

Hi Everyone

First nippy day so far down here!

We recently had a new front door put in and i need to make good. I've been left with the cavity exposed on both sides of the door but almost nothing on the outer skin that I can dot/Dab to or fix cavity closer to (I'm trying to add pictures but I'm not v good at this - fingers crossed!).

I'm not sure what's best? I'd rather not bridge the cavity but thought to fill with expanding foam and then either bond or dot and dab?

Many thanks for your help/advice!!!
Aidex

Attachments

• 1449650393888.jpg
    1449650393888.jpg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 937
  • 1449650433855.jpg
    1449650433855.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,144
Hi mate, could you secure a piece of wood to the wall I'm the cavity, then screw your new plaster board to that piece of wood whilst a little dab to secure your new board to the brick part?

What I've done in my own place was to screw tape and joint stop bead on its edge to the window itself and just dap corner, this prevents any bridge and ensures reveal is parallel, a bead of silicon under it while applying gives good airtightness.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Interesting to see the other side too. Should the door not rest against the outer skin and a dpc set in

Tbh as long as you get a good bit of dab on the brick closest to the cavity when it's sets your never gonna touch it and it's never gonna move.

Same as you , plus cavity closer first .... If you dabbed onto the outside set of bricks you would get damp problems as its bridging the cavity ....

Thanks everyone. Cavity closer plus dot/Dab it is. Got some kingspan kicking about so might put that in the cavity for good measure. :)

just dab onto the brick and if you're still not sure run a bead of gripfill down the edge of the board that butts up to the door

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

All the above will work as its a relatively short distance.
On wider cavitys do as paddy suggests but use a board edging bead, fixed to frame and slide your board in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to bridge gap internal use PVC profile bead with pvc wing attached remove backing tape stick bead to doorframe dab board set into gruve an stick to reveal scim it when set remove povc wing leaving door frame clean and tidy
external fit stainless steel stop bead across gap if gap less than 40m other wise use strips of cementusis board an plaster over

Status
Not open for further replies.