Dot & Dab advice please for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxonchris

Hi, first time poster, short time lurker. I have had a two storey side extension built and trying to keep the costs down have started to do board the ceilings and now facing the prospect of dot and dabbing. The walls are either new thermalite blocks or sound exterior brick (which is now inside) I'm getting conflicting advice in prep work about PVAing before dot & dabbing. I'm going to be using Knauf plasterboard adhesive to stick the boards to the walls

I have assumed 1x 25kg bag will do two 2.4 x 1.2m boards (12.5mm thick Taper edge). The manufacturers site and bag appears to suggest I won't need to PVA or prep the walls but there is a bit of doubt in my mind.

Seriously a plasterer will dab it in 1-2 days (a guess without seeing it) and you know itll be done properly and safely. I skimmed a self build once and the boards were rattling on the dabs because he'd mixed it that stiff and powdery they hadnt bonded. Accident waiting to happen.

There's nothing worse than a customer doing there own boardwork trust me mate i even kick off when joiners do it and there supposed to have half a idea what there doing leave it to a plasterer!

There's nothing worse than a customer doing there own boardwork trust me mate i even kick off when joiners do it and there supposed to have half a idea what there doing leave it to a plasterer!
Yea I know what you mean,got to a job yesterday and the homeowner said I've pva'd it for you:RpS_cursing:I said how many coats he said 'one,it was a strong one though':RpS_confused: he couldn't understand why I did it again with two coats that were both weaker than the first one he'd done.

raytheplasterer - BC don't require an air test so no worries there but thanks for mentioning it. Beddy - point taken about mixing it right.

Why take the risk for a small job.Pay a good man decent money for a good job.it'll cost u more if it's not right.

Agree with These guys.

Get a professional in, nobody means offence/doubts your abilities but you're guaranteeing yourself a better and easier job.

I have worked with lads who have been in the plastering trade years and cannot dab a wall to save their life. That's my advice.

No pva needed and as long as you keep your boards tight and level you'll have no problems? Failing that get the pro's in it might be cheaper in long run....

Status
Not open for further replies.