Done 86 metres today

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

00paul

And i didn't use speed skim what's that all about my son could flatten a wall but its all about the internals and the skirting line etc

I did 2000m this morning on a treadmill, same tomorrow.

You too can have a body like mine (if your not careful).

My swimming pool wont let you in with a speedskim anyway so i had to do 800m freestyle...........:RpS_thumbup:

If that's on site for a big firm you've still earned **** all. If its anything else and your having to throw that much on a day then you really need to look at who your working for or your pricing if your having to put that much on in a day

I did about 17metres, just the one hit, and got £200 but I don't go on the plasterers forum telling everyone about it cos nobody really gives a ****:RpS_biggrin:

If that's on site for a big firm you've still earned **** all. If its anything else and your having to throw that much on a day then you really need to look at who your working for or your pricing if your having to put that much on in a day

Agreed Barry :)

I once did one length of the big pool. Still got a badge on my speedo's to prove it
Could'nt understand why they threw me out of the local swimming pool the other day:RpS_confused: , then i realized that the S had fallen of my Speedo's.:RpS_scared:

"Done 86 metres today"

be great to see his face when forman tells him theres nothing ready on monday morning.

bust a bollock for nowt

3 boards is enough then its straight to the club

what do you do then??

Hi nps , i used to have a bathroom/kitchen biz, i did all assoc. work inc. boarding,skimming, patchwork. I've done a few of my own properties up inc. my present one, fully re skimmed throughout but would not class my self has a 'plasterer'. I'm a qualified plumber/ spark lol. After a few yrs semi-retired i started this year as a handyman ( loads of little bits everywhere ;) ) this now suits me at 50. I belong tonloads of forums to se whats goingoj outin the world etc and hopefully get answers to problems and vice versa. Reading on here some of the areas quoted you guys do made my eyes water and this is why i asked the question.

n8rbos - id say if you can knock 50-60 m2s each out a day on site you'd be ok, thats what i use to aim for 2 big gauges or 3 steady gauges/mixes.

i use to do a lot of site work but stopped now because the prices around here are around £2 p/m2 which isnt worth the graft, i found on site you would rarely have the m2 to go at, other trades hold you up and you dont get standing time anymore.

n8rbos - id say if you can knock 50-60 m2s each out a day on site you'd be ok, thats what i use to aim for 2 big gauges or 3 steady gauges/mixes.

i use to do a lot of site work but stopped now because the prices around here are around £2 p/m2 which isnt worth the graft, i found on site you would rarely have the m2 to go at, other trades hold you up and you dont get standing time anymore.
I never touch metre rates anymore, good day rate or block price, still need to be patient with other trades, rubbish etc

The problem with site work is that there are always spreads that are willing to do masses of meterage, and they consequently give a false impression that all spreads should be doing that meterage day in day out. In my opinion 50-60 m2 in two hits is more than enough work for a day. As soon as you approach 86 m2 then it turns into three hits adding another 3-4 hours to your day. For one off situations where you need to get the job done it's acceptable but when you have to do that 5 days a week you'll just end up burning yourself out and our trade becomes less of an art and more of a rat race :)

A mate of mine tried telling me that lads on site are doing 3 50m2 hits a day to earn money. Then told me he and another lad did a 70m2 ceiling in the morning. A 60m2 ceiling in the afternoon and a 3rd small set. I turned up on the job. There is 1 ceiling about 50-60m2...

its all about what goes in your pocket along with the customer been satisfied and you getting return works and been recommended .. I had £10k profit on a two week job last year, but mostly made just a weeks wages on the other 50 weeks, I hated all that measuring metre's and linear metres crap, I rather say £2500 for that flat £7000 for that house, £5000 for the rendering, too many on here will have nothing to show in 20yrs time and it is a shame and not their fault either

Plasterers are fools to themselves. If a spread can do 80m2 skim a day then it is deemed we all can. So divide £120 per day by 80m2 a day which has been proven to be possible then you simply offer £1.50p per m2.

The 80m2 a day lads have proved it can be done. When I was a spread a 2+1 gang was expected to be able to spread 20m2 of Browning and skim per day each spread or double that if skimming. Anything over was classed as bonus.

But lets say 40m2 of skimming a day is the norm and acceptable. Based on a labour only rate of £120 per day (up North) thats £3 m2. Put on 80m2 you have earned £240.00. Those upstairs will soon realise you can lower the rate and still make enough. The fact you are young, fit and don't know what's coming as you will never get any older, old being over 35 then you will carry on tearing your young body apart without realising it until it is to late. When you do have to start slowing down because of your tennis elbow, Tyno in the wrist of frozen shoulder then you will winge about how low the rates are but it was your stupid youth that lowered the rates.

Those up in the office of course knows you will always be able to get some desperate young spread with a mortgage and kids and he is young enough to make it pay and there are always keen young labourers asking for training to take his place.

For me outlaw self employment. Go into paye where you are on a hourly rate set by the union and anything over say 40m2 is paid as a bonus payment. Holiday pay and sick pay. Benefits straight away in winter when we are laid off and do away with training labourers up. Get proper apprentices back with a few GCSE's behind to eliminate the thicko's.

Plasterers are fools to themselves. If a spread can do 80m2 skim a day then it is deemed we all can. So divide £120 per day by 80m2 a day which has been proven to be possible then you simply offer £1.50p per m2.

The 80m2 a day lads have proved it can be done. When I was a spread a 2+1 gang was expected to be able to spread 20m2 of Browning and skim per day each spread or double that if skimming. Anything over was classed as bonus.

But lets say 40m2 of skimming a day is the norm and acceptable. Based on a labour only rate of £120 per day (up North) thats £3 m2. Put on 80m2 you have earned £240.00. Those upstairs will soon realise you can lower the rate and still make enough. The fact you are young, fit and don't know what's coming as you will never get any older, old being over 35 then you will carry on tearing your young body apart without realising it until it is to late. When you do have to start slowing down because of your tennis elbow, Tyno in the wrist of frozen shoulder then you will winge about how low the rates are but it was your stupid youth that lowered the rates.

Those up in the office of course knows you will always be able to get some desperate young spread with a mortgage and kids and he is young enough to make it pay and there are always keen young labourers asking for training to take his place.

For me outlaw self employment. Go into paye where you are on a hourly rate set by the union and anything over say 40m2 is paid as a bonus payment. Holiday pay and sick pay. Benefits straight away in winter when we are laid off and do away with training labourers up. Get proper apprentices back with a few GCSE's behind to eliminate the thicko's.

Since day 1 serving my time I have been SE, 10 years on and still SE never worked cards in, would be nice to have that security but I've never heard of a spread being cards in?

Some very valid points there which people should take note, £1.50m2 is what I have heard round here! Which is why I wouldn't step foot on a big site again on a meter rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.