Doing an invoice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've sent invoice off, got email back. I use a "business name" on cards etc, I sent invoice again just with my name the original one did have my business name but they can only pay me into a business account, do you need to have a seperate business bank account? When I registered for UTR i did give a business name but surely thats attached to my name so can use personal account as long as I have the records showing whats what?:RpS_confused:

I've sent invoice off, got email back. I use a "business name" on cards etc, I sent invoice again just with my name the original one did have my business name but they can only pay me into a business account, do you need to have a seperate business bank account? When I registered for UTR i did give a business name but surely thats attached to my name so can use personal account as long as I have the records showing whats what?:RpS_confused:

As frank says you'll need to open a business acc in your trading name. Most site lads seem to have registered and trade under there own names to avoid the hassle and just use there own personal bank accounts.
A business acc obviously looks more professional and makes your annual accounts easier as everything is separate. Think the taxman likes to see separate accs but don't think there's a legal requirement.
Just bear in mind you'll get charged for this account so look at whos offering free initial business banking most do 18mnts-2 years free as standard, but remember to ask what the charges will be after that. It will cost you somewhere in the region of £300 a year for this acc, (unless your constantly overdrawn, then you'll get hammered).
Obviously these charges are tax deductible though.

Last edited:
Santander do a free business account but it's postal or machine only (there's always a catch..)
We use it. Cash goes into an envelope and into the cash machine, cheques go into an envelope and are posted or put into a machine.
No charges for paying in or paying out.

Santander do a free business account but it's postal or machine only (there's always a catch..)
We use it. Cash goes into an envelope and into the cash machine, cheques go into an envelope and are posted or put into a machine.
No charges for paying in or paying out.

Theres still a monthly charge though isn't there?.
after any free initial banking I mean.

Theres still a monthly charge though isn't there?.
after any free initial banking I mean.

No.. we've been with them for years. The catch is you can't use the counter service in the bank to do transactions - everything has to be done by post, telephone or online (or via the ATM). They send you prepaid envelopes to post cheques and ATM envelopes for cash and cheques, it's a pain but it means its free.

No.. we've been with them for years. The catch is you can't use the counter service in the bank to do transactions - everything has to be done by post, telephone or online (or via the ATM). They send you prepaid envelopes to post cheques and ATM envelopes for cash and cheques, it's a pain but it means its free.

Just checked this and they've withdrawn this service now - and charge £7.50 a month for what was a 'free forever' service.. Better check to ee if they have started charging us - if so I think we'll be moving :RpS_cursing:

redone on microsoft office free trial went through okay is there any way of using the free software and making it viewable to them or else will just do it on email in future
Print to PDF most will be able to read this format ..you will need a PDF printer installed there are lots of free pdf converters just google and download the one you want

Openoffice is a good free version of MS Word (openoffice.org)

I use both MS Office (on our business pc) and Pages on my Mac, both convert to pdf (MS you have to print to pdf for some reason, Pages you export as a pdf). I would think OpenOffice will be similar to Word.

I use open office but have also just bought office :)

I downloaded office on my Mac (trail version) that's ended now so will have to get rid as I don't have a serial #. Getting used to Pages though..

Great advice here everyone! And thanks for the mention.. I didn't get a notification :(.

Hope you have it sorted now. It will get easier. Just make sure that whoever you invoice, if they deduct your 20% CIS tax, get a voucher off them to prove it was deducted... should they turn rogue and not be dibbing up to HMRC, you will have proof that you had it deducted. They (your contractor) have to pay it to HMRC on time too - but that is not your problem.

Great advice here everyone! And thanks for the mention.. I didn't get a notification :(.

Hope you have it sorted now. It will get easier. Just make sure that whoever you invoice, if they deduct your 20% CIS tax, get a voucher off them to prove it was deducted... should they turn rogue and not be dibbing up to HMRC, you will have proof that you had it deducted. They (your contractor) have to pay it to HMRC on time too - but that is not your problem.

Would a bank statement of the monies paid be enough to prove tax has been stopped if you have an invoice to back it up also ?

@KevRM not really - it would show the amount but not that it was paid as tax. There should be no problem with your contractor issuing the tax voucher. If he doesn't want to, you'd have to wonder why.

Last edited by a moderator:
What to do when not getting paid......this is work I did 7 weeks ago waited for UTR they have had invoice 10 days said they were paying yesterday no payment phoned up they said they don't understand why it hasn't gone through and they will check....its not bloody hard ! I've since heard this geezer has a history of not paying people been taken to court twice had people walk out on him for not paying.....what do I need to do if he is a non payer I know what I liked to do!! guessing small claims? you might expect off customers but not fellow spreads taking the mick.

What to do when not getting paid......this is work I did 7 weeks ago waited for UTR they have had invoice 10 days said they were paying yesterday no payment phoned up they said they don't understand why it hasn't gone through and they will check....its not bloody hard ! I've since heard this geezer has a history of not paying people been taken to court twice had people walk out on him for not paying.....what do I need to do if he is a non payer I know what I liked to do!! guessing small claims? you might expect off customers but not fellow spreads taking the mick.

just keep on there case

would be intresting to no who it was as live in worthing also

Status
Not open for further replies.