Do you lads actually like grafting?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I jacked plastering in back in 89 but did a mates extension in 2003. Got out the bath, put 4 buckets of water in and 50kg of browning. Needed a breather afterwards so went straight out and bought an electric whisk. Creamier plaster but sets quicker which is a good thing at this time of year.

Did a job in 76 and the lab mixed 30 x 50kg bags of browning in a bath with a shovel in 6.5 hrs and wasn,t knackered either. There was 3 of us putting on. It what you get used to and when it is the only way at the time it is acceptable.

Couldn,t see a labrador today standing for that.

Now that,s what am talkin aboot like kidda

On the other hand you have a lot of skimming to do as opposed to a morning of slapping browning on and an afternoon of skimming. Skimming takes a lot of graft on the wrist, shoulder and elbow.

never thought about that rigsby, my son always do the final trowel and he puts a hell of a lot of pressure on his trowel, where as i trowel up less pressure

Bath, shovel and bike cog on a metal tube are all in the van :RpS_thumbup:

Find it easier to mix browning in a bath, bucket and mixer don't do it as well. The odd small sets still use the bike cog, anything bigger and the mixer comes out. We mix for ourselves as we don't have a lab.

After being moved from one corner of the shed to another my baths are now in the allotment, full of carrots :RpS_thumbup:

Bath, shovel and bike cog on a metal tube are all in the van :RpS_thumbup:

Find it easier to mix browning in a bath, bucket and mixer don't do it as well. The odd small sets still use the bike cog, anything bigger and the mixer comes out. We mix for ourselves as we don't have a lab.

if you like this method of mixing browning, keep you eyes open to purchase a" larry", a type of hoe with the metal end about 12inches long by 6 inches, with a hole in the middle about 8 inches by 3 inches , you push this up and down the bath so the browning mixes quickly it is a rare tool but usefull

I was given a rake by a retired plasterer and used it in the last 3-4 years of plastering. You initially mix the dry powder into the water and then rake the browning. A lot easier than just the shovel. The forks are about 280mm long.

It is free for anyone who can come up or down to Sheffield for it.

I had a ex lab of mine now a plasterer come and visit me last month and he saw it in my garage. He missed it when he left me and had to do it just by shovel but the thought of it haunts him. Still got the bike cog as well.

I reckon I can mix a bucket of finish by bike cog just as fast as a whisk although not as super creamy but lump free and usable. Carting a genny around is a bit of a bind. Can,t use it indoors and leave it outside someone will pinch it.

Rigsby;613218. I reckon I can mix a bucket of finish by bike cog just as fast as a whisk although not as super creamy but lump free and usable. Carting a genny around is a bit of a bind. Can said:
yes we just get lazy , our paddle died last week and my son got the podger out and mixed it up just as fast.

i remember in the 60s screeding at essex univ. a man could knock up screed by hand, faster then the mixer.he would cut the cement open onto the heap of sand, turn it over a few times and that was that. we would have about 4 men, knocking up , each would have a lorry load of sand,tonnes of cement , another on the barrow, up the hoist, to where we where laying. we would have killed many of the modern generation

I've got a brand new plastic bath in the lock up, it'll never get used and to be honest they're not a patch on the old metal ones.

I've got a brand new plastic bath in the lock up, it'll never get used and to be honest they're not a patch on the old metal ones.

i thought that the plastic ones where a better shape, the metal ones where to roundered to fit the larry.

My mate used to have a drag for mixing browning but his partner at the time decided to cut the handle in half and buggered it up. Takes no time to mix up with a shovel I find - sometimes use the paddle to give it a whizz when it's about done.

My mate used to have a drag for mixing browning but his partner at the time decided to cut the handle in half and buggered it up. Takes no time to mix up with a shovel I find - sometimes use the paddle to give it a whizz when it's about done.

we mix browning/ hardwall in a plastic dustbin with a paddle, beside the board and stand , then we both lift it and pour it on to the board

we mix browning/ hardwall in a plastic dustbin with a paddle, beside the board and stand , then we both lift it and pour it on to the board

Our paddle isn't that brilliant for mixing tall buckets of browning as its not a screw one - for skim its brilliant though.

I have the bath next to the ligger and frame and just shovel it straight on or use a bucket trowel to scoop it out if rooms tight. Only usually mix a bag and a half to two bags at a time anyway.

Like the idea of the bin though if it works for you :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.