do you 2nd coat with the same mix or always mix a new batch???????

Members online

Choose from the following....

• always top coat with same mix...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always top coat with a fresh batch....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

platinum

I always top coat with the same mix once the first coat is touch dry (doesnt leave finger marks in it when touched) but looking through alot of previos comments, i'm starting to think this isn't the norm or at best seems to be the way a novice would go about things.... to myself (a complete newbie and novice) the thought of doing a new mix for the 2nd coat would seem very odd... i suppose i like the stiffness of the remaining mix and with lots of pressure thats what gives me a nice finish not sure that would be possible with a fresh wet mix for me.... any way just wondered what your thoughts were the people out there every day doing it full time and any newbies out there whats the norm???????? pro's/cons?????

if its a small little tiny poor excuse of an area then i'll use the same mix providing the first coat has pulled in enough and there still plenty of life left in the mix. if not then i'll mix up a second batch, goes on so much nicer.

why would you want to force the plaster onto the wall if its setting... will just end up pulling away/ripping the first coat

give it a try for yourself, you'll be pleasantly surprised 8)

Bleedin hell plat sort your life out son.... If your gonna give it 2 passes out the same bucket lay up quick and flat then go straight over it again dont let the gear go off first!!!!.

For small areas I do do this anything else 2 proper coats.

Rich

plastering is a build up of stages, each one as important as the next. always 2 coat if your using BG products like multi or board it was designed to be applied that way. ull come unstuck in the long run

i always apply thicker first coat,once i gone over area i put second coat on straight away with same mix always.(once i washed the edges).
I put on 1/3 rd the amount on the second coat and try to straighten it up as i go.
this is how i was taught and have always done it.
Dont know or care really how anyone else does it.It works for me!

new plasterers use 2 mixes cos they are scared of messin walls up old timers like me just get it on and still get a nice flat wall maybe one day u newbies will do the same harsh but true :p :-* :-* :-*

old timers like you are laying up half the amount of us "newbies" and the standard isnt as good, harsh but true

yeh rich ;D........youve been told off ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Diffrent people have different ways of doing things...the important thing is the end result is good.
Just do what works for you and what will feed your family.

been at it 4 or so years.....i have used same mix 2 coats on small areas ..but do find i get a far better finish with 2 mixes...think im an ok plasterer...would love to get that finish in one coat...but maybe not owning skills to do so..time will tell.so at mo 2 coat...

just been doing 2 coat with a fresh top mix....... i've got double the amount on that i normally do in the same time (i'm not prepared to say how much that is cos by your lots standards its still shocking!) but must say it went on miles easier... well chuffed 2 coat seperate mixes gets my vote all day long!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :p
"rich plats sorted his life out son :-*"

I always use a new batch for the second coat if its worth it, say anything over 10-15m2. Other wise
I just knock a whole bag of finish up and bang it on. To be fair when its finished I don't think you can
tell the difference. Or is that just me?

what on earth is that a picture of spunky on your profile pic????? :p.... any ways mate think your giving me too much credit i don't even own a corner trowel let alone have a time scale in which to use it....... i'm painfully slow compared to you guys i'd be ashamed to tell you how fast i was.... i try to do opposites so never to work to a wet edge ..... although if needs must i'm just as neat as i can be.... and to be honest the times i have done it .... it has turned out quite well.......... ;D ;D ;D

just an avator mate ...do you do alot of domestic work?....we recently had a gang on site who didnt have a clue how to plaster and said theyd rather go back to doing domestics ?

Nice friendly debate again chaps!! Quick question, why does it all get so nasty so quicklyu on this site. A question was asked nothing more. Then it goes on about newbies, oldies and individual ability, surely its all about what works BEST for you. We all do things our way, surely if we want to help each other and seek advice or lets face we wouldn't be on here.
:(

The Apprentice said:
Nice friendly debate again chaps!! Quick question, why does it all get so nasty so quicklyu on this site. A question was asked nothing more. Then it goes on about newbies, oldies and individual ability, surely its all about what works BEST for you. We all do things our way, surely if we want to help each other and seek advice or lets face we wouldn't be on here.
:(
very well said does youre missus take it up the arse or what?

Wait til the cheese an jam sarnies come out , Don't take it tooo serious kid it's fri night a few off us saddos that cant get out like to have the craic , go with it , or at least post some pics of your missus naked an post em ;D ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.