Do any of you survive on just domestics alone????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Hi Chaps,

As per the title do any of you survive on just domestic work alone? and by that I mean no builders,kitchen/bathroom companys, council works etc,etc,etc.

The reason I ask is I only do domestic work for the last 10yrs but with that ive always done work for a builder up until this year and a bathroom and conservatory firm etc.

Anyhows more and more im starting to feel like its there work that's causing me the most stress although its guaranteed and pretty regular and helps build up the diary etc.

The problem that I have is that there work is always on schedules as in I get allocates start dates but for example they can be midweek start etc and find it realy hard to manage and squeeze in other jobs without it meaning that every job becomes time sensitive etc.

Im thinking more and more that id like to just be doing my own domestic work but I know that I think my workload would become more hand to mouth and not sure if I dare let my contract work go.

ps. I also don't do any advertising at all

What do you recon lads???

Zombie

Yes I survive on domestics pretty much all the time !? Mind you its mostly single mums etc and I always wear my shorts??
attachment.php

Hi Chaps,

As per the title do any of you survive on just domestic work alone? and by that I mean no builders,kitchen/bathroom companys, council works etc,etc,etc.

The reason I ask is I only do domestic work for the last 10yrs but with that ive always done work for a builder up until this year and a bathroom and conservatory firm etc.

Anyhows more and more im starting to feel like its there work that's causing me the most stress although its guaranteed and pretty regular and helps build up the diary etc.

The problem that I have is that there work is always on schedules as in I get allocates start dates but for example they can be midweek start etc and find it realy hard to manage and squeeze in other jobs without it meaning that every job becomes time sensitive etc.

Im thinking more and more that id like to just be doing my own domestic work but I know that I think my workload would become more hand to mouth and not sure if I dare let my contract work go.

Zombie
I reckoned it would take fifty flats a year to keep us busy privately, getting forty would be a miracle.you would need some amount of bathrooms,bedrooms ,kitchen set to keep you busy,a mix of three is best I think,builder,developer and private

I reckoned it would take fifty flats a year to keep us busy privately, getting forty would be a miracle.you would need some amount of bathrooms,bedrooms ,kitchen set to keep you busy,a mix of three is best I think,builder,developer and private
And wear shorts ?? :RpS_thumbup:

That's what I always think john also....though I only work on my own now to be fair apsoed to yourselfs in 2&1 gang. Not to mention I get a nose bleed if I use more than 5 bags of finish a day!!!:RpS_thumbup:

I've heard one rendering job can keep you going most of the year ;)

I work regularly for a kitchen fitter. 2-3 jobs a month. Also have 1 builder ive worked for for years. Both of these recommend me too so I get more than just their work. Currently doing a full 3 bed that the kitchen fitter passed on. I help out 1 or 2 other plasterers too from time to time. Id say 60% of my work is regulars and 40% is new stuff.

You risk quiet patches after Christmas just doing private domestic. The contract work gets booked in way before from planning and kitchen company schedules.
I know what you mean about them dicking you around and clicking they're fingers expecting you to start the following week. But that's my bread and butter the domestic just fills in the gaps. When I'm old and want to go part time il just do domestic

No, I use a whole range of household cleaning products. Sorry, thought you said Domestos.

You risk quiet patches after Christmas just doing private domestic. The contract work gets booked in way before from planning and kitchen company schedules.

just after christmas the bankers get their bonus so it is harvest time. this work takes you up to easter when the domestics kick in. august is the quiet month with the children at home and holidays. sept it all starts again with december very busy, got to have it done by christmas. pick up a few big jobs so that gives the small ones time to build up.

Yes I survive on domestics pretty much all the time !? Mind you its mostly single mums etc and I always wear my shorts??
3912-do-any-you-survive-just-domestics-alone-10696231_10204365166036527_1364818789655258713_n-jpg

she looks like the bird i met in thai land ...............................:huh:

just after christmas the bankers get their bonus so it is harvest time. this work takes you up to easter when the domestics kick in. august is the quiet month with the children at home and holidays. sept it all starts again with december very busy, got to have it done by christmas. pick up a few big jobs so that gives the small ones time to build up.

no bankers though in Barnsley Malc......we might aswell be chatting about different continents bud!!!....

giro days more important around my neck of woods!!!:RpS_crying:

Bankers mostly live in and around London. I know what your saying but it's not domestic work that pays my bills in January

no bankers though in Barnsley Malc......we might aswell be chatting about different continents bud!!!....

giro days more important around my neck of woods!!!:RpS_crying:

oh dear! it is hard to make a living in these areas.

oh dear! it is hard to make a living in these areas.

can be heartbraking at times tbh malc....when you weigh it all up realy it doesn't make financial sense being a sole trader plasterer sometimes I don't think!!!

the only plus side is you can buy a hose for a tenner!!!:RpS_thumbsup:

Hi Chaps,

Zombie

I've been through a few different work modes in my career , big gangs bashing out work on big sites, on my own working for a select few, 2&1 , 5&2 and now a straight forward 2 spreads and casual labour. I've seen first hand the effects of stress and grafting like a nutter chasing the coin so I tried to steer myself away from that. Here is my advice to you bud for what its worth . I dont know what your catchment area is Like but in my experience there are always pockets of wealth and dilapidated properties in every county that will bring in enough income for a sole trader. After working in gangs and getting fed up with all the usual crap I wanted to work on my own doing mostly domestics and the odd small builder.

I have OCD so my technique on sourcing domestic work became a habit fairly quick; Ive posted this pic before

1: 20-30 newsagent window postcards (decent ones printed, not hand drawn)
2: Flyers (same as above)
3: Mini Portfolio

Make a rule (for me having OCD this came easy) Every job you work on put a minimum of 4 flyers ( my rule used to be the 2 houses adjacent ) and do it every time. If any one approaches you have that portfolio to hand and sell your talents.
Every time you pass a newsagent, cornershop etc pull in and stick one of your postcards in the window ( ask for a month, usually a couple of quid but tell them if you get a couple of jobs out of it you will leave it in for the year if they knock a bit off)

After quitting the house bashing I went purely domestic for 5 years on the back of this. More recently I went on that there Tinternet (I think its starting to take off you know ) On advice from Danny he told me a website works best on citations (How often it gets searched or entered in Google) Set it up once, spend some time on it and it works well. Use all the standard social media platforms (facebook, twitter etc) that can give good circulation, and youtube works really well (probably because its owned by Google, not sure) I put a couple of videos up a few months ago using the Nela trowels and so far had about 2,500+ views (not as many as Curry) I probably spent about an hour making them vids, it all helps. Best of luck with it Zombie :RpS_thumbsup:

I've been through a few different work modes in my career , big gangs bashing out work on big sites, on my own working for a select few, 2&1 , 5&2 and now a straight forward 2 spreads and casual labour. I've seen first hand the effects of stress and grafting like a nutter chasing the coin so I tried to steer myself away from that. Here is my advice to you bud for what its worth . I dont know what your catchment area is Like but in my experience there are always pockets of wealth and dilapidated properties in every county that will bring in enough income for a sole trader. After working in gangs and getting fed up with all the usual crap I wanted to work on my own doing mostly domestics and the odd small builder.

I have OCD so my technique on sourcing domestic work became a habit fairly quick; Ive posted this pic before

1: 20-30 newsagent window postcards (decent ones printed, not hand drawn)
2: Flyers (same as above)
3: Mini Portfolio

Make a rule (for me having OCD this came easy) Every job you work on put a minimum of 4 flyers ( my rule used to be the 2 houses adjacent ) and do it every time. If any one approaches you have that portfolio to hand and sell your talents.
Every time you pass a newsagent, cornershop etc pull in and stick one of your postcards in the window ( ask for a month, usually a couple of quid but tell them if you get a couple of jobs out of it you will leave it in for the year if they knock a bit off)

After quitting the house bashing I went purely domestic for 5 years on the back of this. More recently I went on that there Tinternet (I think its starting to take off you know ) On advice from Danny he told me a website works best on citations (How often it gets searched or entered in Google) Set it up once, spend some time on it and it works well. Use all the standard social media platforms (facebook, twitter etc) that can give good circulation, and youtube works really well (probably because its owned by Google, not sure) I put a couple of videos up a few months ago using the Nela trowels and so far had about 2,500+ views (not as many as Curry) I probably spent about an hour making them vids, it all helps. Best of luck with it Zombie :RpS_thumbsup:

That's cracking advice OLI and vey much appreciate taking the time to go into such detail your a real gent mate!!!:RpS_thumbup:

Can imagine it being very effective yet simple really!!!:RpS_thumbup:

For me its a strange 1 im kind of in limbo in so much as had people on books before and needed as was set up for the volume...where as now I don't realy want/need everything that I have on but also after having these guaranteed contracts for 10yrs plus and on friendship basis with directors etc im kind of spoilt!!!

I think in some ways I either need to try and grow it again and try and keep 2 going or loose the contract stuff and just plod about doing bits on my own...im kind of inbetween at mo hence constantly feeling overwhelmed etc.

Thanks again Oli your a top man!!!:RpS_thumbup:

Oli your websites alright as well I've had a good look around it, you reckon you get much business from there?

I'm on domestics only. No builders etc. but like all sectors of the industry it can be a feast or a famine. Booked up 'til end of October or thereabouts so I'm happy :RpS_thumbup:

Oli your websites alright as well I've had a good look around it, you reckon you get much business from there?

Definitely, I've traded under my name for about 16 years in Torbay so whenever I get a call for Rivieraplastering it stands out. I wasn't expecting any response from the website for a few months at least but it started bringing in income after a few weeks.

Oli the post cards in shop windows of lower income or posher areas work best ?

I have 4 or 5 in permanent spots, the most effective is in Town centre Opposite bank and also near bus & train station. You would expect small domestics from these but I have picked up a couple of new builds from them

Don't be fooled windy by Olican. He hands out all his flyers at dogging sites during the intermission. He's like the ice cream sellers you used to get at cinemas

Don't be fooled windy by Olican. He hands out all his flyers at dogging sites during the intermission. He's like the ice cream sellers you used to get at cinemas

Thats how I met you and your lovely missus..............Dave :RpS_thumbsup:

hung like a donkey....f**ks like a hamster lol

sorry I am just getting an inferiority complex lmao

Great advice oilcan, I'm still waiting for @Danny to have a look at my website, I've never had a job off it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.