do any of you really enjoy plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.
"you'll never make any money being genuine " I think you will in the long run Chris, you sound like you have your head screwed on and have a good attitude. In the end you will have a good reputation which you just can't buy or blag, good luck.

fact if u can (french word) u can paint,but its all about standard hey.. i just stick to what I'm good at to. iv painted on new builds on weekends for a few months iv painted in people homes for years ect so just fort its worth a shot 2. help keep money comin in when the plastering is not commin in,or just add a lil bit to the cost of the job. just priced a small garage convertion at £660 dab and skim and 450 paint and gloss easy days but then iv just garn and priced £170 for a small conservatory,already dabed out bead and scrim on job 3 draft walls and one main wall ect so i ent that pricey Chris! just good at judging what customer you can push :)

what are you doin at the moment btw chris u at work?

oasis said:
fact if u can (french word) u can paint,but its all about standard hey.. i just stick to what I'm good at to. iv painted on new builds on weekends for a few months iv painted in people homes for years ect so just fort its worth a shot 2. help keep money comin in when the plastering is not commin in,or just add a lil bit to the cost of the job. just priced a small garage convertion at £660 dab and skim and 450 paint and gloss easy days but then iv just garn and priced £170 for a small conservatory,already dabed out bead and scrim on job 3 draft walls and one main wall ect so i ent that pricey Chris! just good at judging what customer you can push :)

what are you doin at the moment btw chris u at work?
bugger me 170 quid for 1 easy set of skimming...... and on board too! ;D theres people round our way would do that for 60 quid! i'd prolly have it for 120... 100 quid for cash.... 3 bags tops innit.. prolly 2...

knew i was doing something wrong somewhere... i honestly dont know how you manage to land these jobs mate.. last little conny i did i dabbed it in the morning, skimmed it in the afternoon.. 300 quid all in..

im hanging fire doors (with new liners) for a landlord at the minute in multi occupancy houses (bedsits) making good the lot when ive done the house in one hit then arching up.. (as and when basis, theyve all gotta be brought up to hmo standard, they got a new clerk of works down the council)

next week im insulating 2 walls in a small kitchen with cellotex, vapour barrier AND duplex (overkill i know), skimming 4 walls and screeding the conny floor (1 cube)... labours in at 400 quid, materials are around 700 but im having a readymix 2.2ton screed drop so i can blat it in a morning on my own....... im looking at 2 days... might make it 2 1/2...

its still to small sets id say.. yea could get it all on one but theys days i like to try and keep the quality(I'm learnin!haha) price is fair i fort .. that is dab a Conni and board the 2 stud walls 2 so day ta board day ta skim gota lab happy days. its all were ya from i guess cuz 10 miles down the road you'd get people who wouldt ever pay more than £80 a day for any trade, where in are town some people pay £220 a day easy.

if youre dabbin it as well then 170 is too cheap mate..? youll be 60 - 80 quid materials...
2 days is ok though they wont be full days ay? worst bit with em is cutting the board for the pitch over the french doors innit.. then its whether or not theres enough clearance round the hinges... i usually use 9mm slivers tight up...
then theres the window board... if theyve left it tight on the overhang your gonna need 9mm board again and just paste the wall with dabbing.. wack em on real tight...
cut the lot ready...
knock up a good bag and a half / 2 bags dabbin...
wack the lot on..
throw a handful of cement in whats left of your dabbin...
use that to bead your doors up.. (little 2" reveals and the conny door reveal)

go have some lunch, good hour and a half...

knock up a good bag / bag and a half of multi...

have the lot.... with the french door and little dwarf walls youll catch it easy... knock up a little bit more to top off with and you wont have any problems....

you might sweat a bit in a conny in this weather though... ;D

have a good lump of steel wool handy so you can just clean up down the side of the door properly when its trowelled up.. and if you really wanna impress em... use a bit of jif neat on a rag and give the plastic a lick over...

if its timber doors mask em up first..

100 quid to skim it, 100 quid to dab it, 100 quid for bits...

only thing you gotta think as you quote these jobs is whats above the roof... i.e. if its on a house, not a bungalow then the french door house wall is still an outside wall and if theres no cavity trays installed along the roofline then theres a chance water will soak into the bricks above and make your internal wall damp below the roofline.... if theres weepers above the lintel over the french doors these will leak water directly into your conny...

technically the correct way is to install cavity trays above the roofline if its gonna be plastered internally..

a lot of people float and set these jobs in a day with hardwall...

same problems though..

fill the weepers with silicon and dab the house wall with duplex if you wanna make it last till youve got off the drive :eek: ( i didnt say that though) ;D

same way you dab insulated board.. not ideal but they stay put.. prolly get condensation behind em eventually but like i said, proper way is to cavity tray the roofline.. other than that its stud, cellotex, vapour barrier or / and duplex but that brings the plasterboard out beyond the glazing bars.. still prolly a better way...

to be honest if it gets a good coat of silk paint it'll last long enough anyway.. just being technical really.. most connys dont stay warm enough to drag the water through into the internals...

and a lot of people hardwall em so its a toss up between doing it for 300 quid or doing it for 700 quid with cavity trays which one is the customer gonna pick seeing as its basically a greenhouse which doesnt even come under 'habitable room' in the building regs? (unless theres no external grade door between the conny and the house)

theyre just a fast buck at the end of the day..

course theres render it but it still doesnt solve the problem...

or one better.. tank the wall, 2 or three coats then render it...

or tank it then dab it...

there y'go oasis... theroseal it.. ;D... be the next best thing to installing cavity trays..

cheers monk ;).........have you tried the gypbond scrim method on the back of the board?.......i remember hitler mentioned that on uk spreads

It you are going to use foil back boards on block/brick work you should screw fix them to MF 10 furrings first, dont pva scrim on the back thats crap

I was thinking the same Jetman but I'm in polite mode, surely PVA doesn't adhere to the foil does it?

Never heard of owt so ridiculous in my life pva and scrim , crazy, for one pva is not waterproof so what is the point if your trying to prevent moisture penetration, there's a whole host of reason why this is wrong but i do not have the time or the inclination to post, but i think most would agree this is not right

chris the price £165-170 was just to skim the coni.. just need 3 bag of skim 2 quick sets cuz of the heat! the wall with the french doors is a triangle shape and goes quite high so need ta mess around with ladder and all on that wall get the revels on the same set then finish off with the low walls jobs should be a good um..

Just for chris i took a few pics of that coni i did in the end.

so £170 to skim and supply 3 bags of skim and fix the beads and scrim is not cheap for this job u say?

id normally charge at least £250 for this.. and he said the guy b4 me said it will be £450 and take 2.5 DAYS HA WTF?

not what i call a small conny mate, but still... be about right 170, id be happy at 150, easy set...
nice job though mate wish you lived near me you could get those prices all day and id work for you! ;D

little bit of 'font of all building knowledge' for you ;)

normally a conny doesnt come under the heat loss (part L) building regulations if theres a external grade door between it and the house...

a house under current building regs should have no more than 25% of the floor area glazed...
meaning if the floor arear of the house is 100 sqm then there should be no more than 25 sqm of glazed area (windows / glass doors) in the house...

remove that conny / house door and it brings the conny in with the house regs...
seeing as conny's are nearly all glazed (roof included) then that far exceeds the 25% rule...

its a common problem and sometimes the building inspector will let you get away with adding extra insulation elsewhere in the house to bring the u value back down again....

either way, it lands on the shoulders of the householder not the builder or conservatory company but its worth knowing if your the bloke that ripped the door out ;)

if it aint getting inspected it wont matter but if the conny's new and it required planning permission then it will get inspected and if the inspectors switched on he might make a point of it... :-X

just thought.. maybe old mateys silly price included tanking that back wall prior to dabbing? would account for the exta time...

looks smart oasis ;).......the internal angles on the piss and the skimming looks a bit ropey but the conservatory looks bloody lovely :)

spunkybum said:
looks smart oasis ;).......the internal angles on the (french word) and the skimming looks a bit ropey but the conservatory looks bloody lovely :)

It will not look so nice when the roof glass is full of bird poo ,the white plastic starts geting black surface mold on it, the floor starts sweaking /creaking and its started to hair line crack where all the plastered reaveals are touching the plastic mate.

you are full of INFO! tellin ya u need to get that phone number going! 119 119 ask Chris.co.uk featured on the famous Plasters Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.