DIYer / MRPB

Members online

Onoff

Morning,

New here and hoping for some advice. Nearing the end of a long, drawn out main bathroom refurb. Involved digging down the existing floor by 18" and building back up to include UFH, new ceiling inc joists. The walls were so "out" I've studded them and covered with a mix of MR plasterboard and Aqua Panel for the wet room corner. All pipework is hidden and there's lit pockets in the wall. The ceiling too is MR.

In terms of skimming I need to do the 3x3 ceiling and one half wall say 3x1.5 as SWMBO wants the option to change the colour scene now and then by repainting. The rest will be tiled floor to ceiling. Keen to have a crack myself. Done a little bit year back.

Now right or wrong I've used tapered edge MR pb. I was intending to Febond Blue Grit the areas to be skimmed as opposed to pva. To Febond or not seems to divide opinion!

Then whether to add cream of tartare or not, someone said it aids workability - good for a newbie!

A question ref tape though, does this go on first then the Febond or do I Febond first?

At the mo I've just set up and raised the floor on some tubes / off cuts. Puts the ceiling about 11" from my head and a bit less where I've covered over the bath.

A few pics:

Wet room corner:

Ceiling:

The half wall:

Cheers in advance.

Mate, that looks a tidy job. My spider senses tell me there are major brownie points on offer here. If you can skim up nice and tidy like, I don’t think you’d get knocked back mentioning you’d quite like to shag her sister/mum/friend......(y). I wouldn’t use any glue if the boards are fresh, brush any dust off, scrim up, mix up and go for it.

Cheers, the ceiling boards and some on the wall have been up for a long while tbh - couple of years (long story). One other reason for thinking the Febond Blue Grit was figuring it might g'tee better adhesion as later on I need to do quite a bit of work on the joists above. This as well as giving me more faffing time!

Just wasn't sure whether to tape first and if it'll be a hassle to then roller over the tape with Febond?

A number of holes too in the ceiling, two speakers, 4 downlights and a body dryer. These will all come out of course!

as a diy project i would just tape and joint the boards. you will never be able to skim as flat as a sheet of plasterboard.

Thanks, tbh there's too many little nicks and bits of surface damage not to skin imo. So for these two vertical tapered edge joints should I fill them first before plastering the wall with two coats? I've read if you don't they can show through later. Cheers.

Ffs! Mate, Sorry about this but by the sounds of things you haven’t got a clue. Just pay a spread to come in and sort it, small job like that won’t cost a fortune! And from the look of your job you are fussy and particular so why balls it all up now?

Ffs! Mate, Sorry about this but by the sounds of things you haven’t got a clue. Just pay a spread to come in and sort it, small job like that won’t cost a fortune! And from the look of your job you are fussy and particular so why balls it all up now?

No you're right. No offense taken either. That's why I was asking specific questions. Tbh I'm the sort who'll try and fail before advice goes in.

No you're right. No offense taken either. That's why I was asking specific questions. Tbh I'm the sort who'll try and fail before advice goes in.
Well taken and that’s a great attitude. But If you really want to have a go at it then p.v.a the boards, wait till it soaks in then scrim it and then skim. But my advice would be for what it will cost get a well known spread local to you or maybe off here to come and sort it. Save yourself the headache, plastering isn’t as easy as we make it look!
Good luck!

Morning,

New here and hoping for some advice. Nearing the end of a long, drawn out main bathroom refurb. Involved digging down the existing floor by 18" and building back up to include UFH, new ceiling inc joists. The walls were so "out" I've studded them and covered with a mix of MR plasterboard and Aqua Panel for the wet room corner. All pipework is hidden and there's lit pockets in the wall. The ceiling too is MR.

In terms of skimming I need to do the 3x3 ceiling and one half wall say 3x1.5 as SWMBO wants the option to change the colour scene now and then by repainting. The rest will be tiled floor to ceiling. Keen to have a crack myself. Done a little bit year back.

Now right or wrong I've used tapered edge MR pb. I was intending to Febond Blue Grit the areas to be skimmed as opposed to pva. To Febond or not seems to divide opinion!

Then whether to add cream of tartare or not, someone said it aids workability - good for a newbie!

A question ref tape though, does this go on first then the Febond or do I Febond first?

At the mo I've just set up and raised the floor on some tubes / off cuts. Puts the ceiling about 11" from my head and a bit less where I've covered over the bath.

A few pics:

Wet room corner:

Ceiling:

The half wall:

Cheers in advance.

Whatever the reason for 2 years down the line and not finished, it looks like you've put a lot of effort in...and done a nice job so far. We've all got a few projects on the go, and tbf, there are days when I'd rather pay one of my mates to do a job, as time is more precious these days and my pride comes second to common sense.
Looks like there is loads to do, so why not post what area you're in and get one of the good guys off here to give you a shove. Will be good for moral and give you some momentum. Missus will be happy too.

Emboldened by the Courage Best I found in Lidls I decided to have a crack at taping and filling the joints. Someone said if you don't they'll show through. But first I scraped off some nasty blue stuff that I thought might make things a bit gritty...
ph34r.png
I've about 4.9L left if anyone wants it...

I put 5:1 pva through a garden sprayer. I'm sticky from head to toe. It was OK on the two wall joints but it dripped from the ceiling. A bit of kitchen roll and some dabbing soon sorted things.

I let the pva go tacky and whacked some in the te joints. The short joint to the right of the body dryer where the spot hole is, is I think a butt joint, so it'll be interesting to see how that comes out:

Where the Febond Blue Grit had been was a little awkward, it went "liney":

But I let it go off and went back and flatted it off.

Bottom line is I'm not scared of it!

Reckon just doing that little bit that my right arm will ache in the morning.

Emboldened by the Courage Best I found in Lidls I decided to have a crack at taping and filling the joints. Someone said if you don't they'll show through. But first I scraped off some nasty blue stuff that I thought might make things a bit gritty...
ph34r.png
I've about 4.9L left if anyone wants it...

I put 5:1 pva through a garden sprayer. I'm sticky from head to toe. It was OK on the two wall joints but it dripped from the ceiling. A bit of kitchen roll and some dabbing soon sorted things.

I let the pva go tacky and whacked some in the te joints. The short joint to the right of the body dryer where the spot hole is, is I think a butt joint, so it'll be interesting to see how that comes out:

Where the Febond Blue Grit had been was a little awkward, it went "liney":

But I let it go off and went back and flatted it off.

Bottom line is I'm not scared of it!

Reckon just doing that little bit that my right arm will ache in the morning.

Have you used multi?

So clearly I've done something wrong by using multi over tape to fill the joint. AFTER some reading I suspect it's that multi isn't considered strong enough for jointing purposes and that any stress on it might show up as a crack?

If that's the case is there any way round it now? Wider "repair" tape?

Thanks

So clearly I've done something wrong by using multi over tape to fill the joint. AFTER some reading I suspect it's that multi isn't considered strong enough for jointing purposes and that any stress on it might show up as a crack?

If that's the case is there any way round it now? Wider "repair" tape?

Thanks

You've used the wrong material. 'Joint and fill' refers to taping and then using a joint filler which is then sanded back flush with the board edges.

You'll have to skim it all now.

You've used the wrong material. 'Joint and fill' refers to taping and then using a joint filler which is then sanded back flush with the board edges.

You'll have to skim it all now.

Apologies, Thought I'd made it clear in my op that even though it's te it'd be skimmed. Cheers.

Ffs mate you had the correct advice and you haven't listened your clearly not going to pay a plasterer and your also not going to be happy with your attempt!

So why not go for a plastic ceiling that people have in bathrooms these days!

Done it and happy. Me and my lad had a crack at it...against good advice I know! More to the point SWMBO's happy. Needs minimal prep to paint. TF for cream of tartar!

Picking up some Leyland Super Leytex then will mist coat(s) etc and will top coat with Dulux Diamond Matt.