DIY plasterboarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captaincaveman

I cannot be the only one.

Why is it that people seem to think that by doing the boarding themselves they are saving a HUGE amount of money?
Particularly when they f**k it up and you have to p*ss about with it to try and make a decent job?

Went to price up two rooms tonight. The original 9.5mm board was still on the walls up to about dado rail height.............so the customer put 12.5mm above it. FFS! I cannot ask them to take it all down so I am now having to feather it out with bonding.
Not only this, there are massive gaps to fill as well.
When I hopefully get to the stage that I'm getting so much work in I don't know what to do I will turn jobs like this down.
Rant over.
:RpS_laugh:

had similar. went to skim both sides of a stud wall (12' x 8'). they had done a cracking job of the boarding apart from the fact they had used steel screws. took forever to put in proper screws and take out rust attractors.

Price for the extra pissing about and if they ask why its more explain they've made it worse lol

if they want to do the boarding to save money make them realise that they would have been better off getting you to do it by picking it to bits and telling them all the pit falls of leaving it how they have presented it to you, then remind them it is after all part of our job you wouldnt go to macdonalds and just pop over the counter to cook the burger to save some money

I would pick their work to bits if I had other stuff to do but having just started out on my own in January things are a bit quiet.
Will do later though. :RpS_sneaky:

Tell them that the polish say"nie dla idiotow " when they ask what it means, say, its not for idiots, I have had DIY ceilings in the old days with nails popping down all over and often only half enough.

Yeah I love it. Seems like everyone boards now except us.
Love it when STUPID joiners have to draw pencil lines to find studwork heh heh. STOOPID joiners. Stop nicking our work.

sick of it. every job i go to recently . . "ahh ill do the dry lining (u mean boarding) so its easier for you (definalty isnt)", 9 times out of 10 theyve ****** it up, boards flapping around at corners and massive gaps, and then they look at me gone out when i say if anything happens in the future its down to the boarding

I have gone to a job before where the man of the house had overboarded the old lathe and plaster ceilng, you'd be lucky if there was 16 screws in each board and when i said to him you have put those screws into the joists have'nt you he looked at me and said "joists what do you mean" if it hadn't been for the fact i knew his brother inlaw the devil in me might of just skimmed it but i told him how to do it properly and that he needed to use 75mm screws rather than the 40mm ones he had used and i just went back the next week to skim it. Happy days

Quoted a job where the guy had boarded the walls and ceiling. Saw straight away that he'd not run the board to the wooden beams and gaps everywhere .. said that needs sorting ...no problem he says it'll all be ready when you arrive . few weeks later i rang him to ask if it had been done .. yes all sorted . turned up to the job and nothing had been done ..... normally id of turned round and walked away . thought balls to him ... lied to me twice so i skimmed upto the edge of the boards ... got paid etc

Next thing i get a call from a trader scheme im on saying he'd complained .... i said do you have a copy of the quote ,,, yes the guy says ... where does it say patching or board repairs ... no it doesnt ...case closed .... backed me and fooked him off as he lied and they saw evidence of his boarding when they visited the property.

Another graduate from clown college !!

Yeah I love it. Seems like everyone boards now except us.
Love it when STUPID joiners have to draw pencil lines to find studwork heh heh. STOOPID joiners. Stop nicking our work.
I hate it when the wood butchers do the pencil line thing too. How many times have i scrim'd over thinking its a joint :RpS_blushing:. The eyes ain't what they used to be.

Just tell them you won't guarantee any boarding that hasn't been done by your self.

I had one the other week and the nail heads popped while I was skimming it, I shouted the guy in, i smiled and said "told ya"

All to save £80.00 ish

I remember a 2 storey extension & loft conversion I went to quote, he'd done all the boarding himself was a rite feckin mess, he says his plasterer mate was going to skim it all but they fell out so needs a really cheap price as he didn't budget for any plastering lmao :RpS_laugh:

Last edited:
thats what i would do. thing is its all well and good thinking i'll do cos i'm not busy and may even get a few more jobs out fo it. but when it all stars cracking and coming loose and looking shite they finger of blame get pionted at you. and people like to talk a lot more about negative things thats the human nature so in the end can lose more than you stand to gain. and those jobs are always a **** to do, i did one last year a full house, 2 boards fell off the wall while we were skimming them:RpS_cursing:
deffo tell them point blank they ****** up and its all got to come off and start again. thats the only way nob head d.i.y.ers will learn. if we all do this people may get the idea and leave it to us
Price for the extra pissing about and if they ask why its more explain they've made it worse lol

Had a good laugh at a customer one day,we turned up to skim his diy garage conversion to find he had put all 50 odd sheets up brown side out, when I pointed it out he tried telling me I was wrong then I kindly showed him the writing 'plaster other side only' what a numpty.

not 5 minuets after i wrote this the phone rang, would i skim a kitchen if the guy boards it himself? i said not intrested (had to or would have been a hypocrit) was asked why so explained, still wants me to and it turns out kid is a joiner so may have half an idea:RpS_unsure: so i said only if i can inspect the boarding first and there is to be no new kitchen fitted at all before hand at all, first fixed only, ok was the reply so now he knows its no nonsence. i'm holding all the aces when i go to price it:RpS_thumbsup:
thats what i would do. thing is its all well and good thinking i'll do cos i'm not busy and may even get a few more jobs out fo it. but when it all stars cracking and coming loose and looking shite they finger of blame get pionted at you. and people like to talk a lot more about negative things thats the human nature so in the end can lose more than you stand to gain. and those jobs are always a **** to do, i did one last year a full house, 2 boards fell off the wall while we were skimming them:RpS_cursing:
deffo tell them point blank they ****** up and its all got to come off and start again. thats the only way nob head d.i.y.ers will learn. if we all do this people may get the idea and leave it to us

done it before and come back to bite me in the arse. i don't mind so much doing it or even going back if need be when it does **** up but if people spend money on somthing they like to tell other people, and when it goes wrong they tell everybody , luke plastered my house and its all cracking, they never explain why they just tell people you did it and its wrong
Just price it and skim it, it is what it is

If they phone me back and want it done I will do it but I will stress there is no guarantee on the work. I think I'm just too nice to slag them off too much! Lol.
I won't be on the next estimate. :RpS_sneaky:

I live not too far from knauf, ive been out to two jobs they have boarded and coz they work there the think they can board lol Had a guy call me this week about a job i priced he said ive boarded the beam how much will it be now? goin round this week to pull it to pieces then charge exactly the same. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.