Diy plaster project

Members online

Waineruk

Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the contributors on here...I've learned loads this weekend...albeit I'm yet to touch plaster with a trowel...

So I'm going to try diy plastering on a 4.5 x 4 room...walls and ceiling..

The paper is off and I have sanded and filled and sanded again all areas with 40 grit paper..

I'm about to pva and then I guess the fun begins...

I've a couple of questions I cant find the answer to here- I must point out my house is cast in situ concrete so hopefully it makes more sense of the questions

I've removed a internal door frame between connecting rooms - do I brown/ bond the exposed concrete and before it sets add in edging strips? Ready for skimming

Second Q I understand I have to get everything on the ceiling asap - based on the size of the room should I mix two buckets ready with 1.5 bags of plaster in each? Then skim the ceiling and a small wall? Perhaps the side of the chimney...

Thanks for any help...

you can bed the beads first or push them into the undercoat while it is still wet.
your property build is called nofines, poured concrete.
3 bags is plenty to mix on your own in a domestic situation.

don't forget to post some pics. plastering is easy enough there are even girls plastering these days !

5-6 Gordon don't be dramatic I can quote the post if your getting forgetful in your dotage

Yes please repost it, it was 7 possibly 6. But no mention of 5 lol and don’t forget he asked as an average

Screenshot_2018-06-10-20-08-45.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Djr
Yes please repost it, it was 7 possibly 6. But no mention of 5 lol and don’t forget he asked as an average
It was 7 and no mention of 5.....your a right mong sometimes

• Funny
Reactions: gps
Thanks guys...so how many bags do you recommend for just the Ceiling assuming a two mil covering ....and me f***ing up several times

About one and a half bags do one first get it on then knock up half and top coat it, I assume you are a beginner, if so do a wall first to make sure you can handle the ceiling

Hi all - I've a quick question ahead of my weekend of plastering madness - the "window wall" and the window has timber reveals- I cant remove them, new windows were put in in in and they put a pvc edge around them and attached to the timber ...can anyone give a good idea of how I can plaster over the timber reveal edge? Should I scrim, pva and then skim? I've attached a pic....this all around the window....
20180613_215730.jpg

I would architrave it.... but...

You could chop the reveals back and mesh and backing plaster and then skim... it will still probably crack though :D

Shouldn't skim over wood but I've done a few reveals like this where they want the flush look without architrave but don't want to strip the frame.

If you want to do this, scrim the crack then tight coat of bonding top to bottom.

Then put an angle bead on and scrim that, then skim.

Never had one fail doing it this way, but as said.. is a bit rough.

Shouldn't skim over wood but I've done a few reveals like this where they want the flush look without architrave but don't want to strip the frame.

If you want to do this, scrim the crack then tight coat of bonding top to bottom.

Then put an angle bead on and scrim that, then skim.

Never had one fail doing it this way, but as said.. is a bit rough.

Thanks! Would it be a stop bead? Or an angle like you mention? Can't figure where the other side would sit....

That’s exactly how this one was, previously architraved looked grotty.

Remove plastic trim inside and tac 9.5mm plasterboard around .

Angle bead all around and do as I mentioned above..

Or save yourself a headache and re-architrave

Attachments

• 886CBE0A-BE76-4271-8DD0-A0469A5DB5D0.jpeg
    886CBE0A-BE76-4271-8DD0-A0469A5DB5D0.jpeg
    955.8 KB · Views: 307