Distemper

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dai dog

Was skimming a ceiling today & noticed a patch started to bubble, trowel let the rest of the ceiling up, before leaving scraped the blown bit out (it had cracked a little), &pvad ready to skim tomorrow. I noticed the paint hadn't adhered to the ceiling & was dusty/chalky! Distemper? What's the best course of action here? It may be in ceilings & walls! The skim had adhered to the paint that they'd painted over it with, but the paint they'd painted over it with hadn't adhered to it! If that makes any sense! Lol, and just for the record there weren't any signs of bubbling or loose stuff before hand!

I had this on a refurb put all coats on as normal started trowling up and blisters everywhere the whole ceiling came off 20 msq all the paint was on back of fresh skim i put on was yours like that fatarm? Was it white?

I had this on a refurb put all coats on as normal started trowling up and blisters everywhere the whole ceiling came off 20 msq all the paint was on back of fresh skim i put on was yours like that fatarm? Was it white?

Exactly like that mate! But only about 1/2 m2! We started the whole house today and have only done 2 rooms, it's the only problem I've had, but certainly don't want whole ceilings coming down!

Exactly like that mate! But only about 1/2 m2! We started the whole house today and have only done 2 rooms, it's the only problem I've had, but certainly don't want whole ceilings coming down!
It wouldnt happen to be a council or x council house would it? I found this happening a lot on the refurbs i was doing its a git sometimes it might be a couple blisters 50 size other times the lot goes ! We used to overboard all of them in the end save the aggro its always white aswell . Never tried stabiliser on them though our gaffer at the time wouldnt buy it prob making a killing overboarding them

Sandtex stuff is good, tried the one from toolstation but prefered the sandtex one tbh:RpS_thumbup:

Would a stabilizer work though? As I haven't got a problem with what I'm going over!? I've got a problem with what's under the paint I'm going over!?

If the paint aint adhered as you say..youll have to get the paint off back to the bare chalky feckin bastardo distemper shiitt:RpS_thumbdn:

no point skimmin on paint that aint sound...

Had had the therm from about 20m2 multi pull the patchy textured paint off a ceiling almost in one sheet, wish I had photo of it. The heat acts much like a steam stripper. Oil based stabilizer (trade stuff)may have stopped it or oil based primer. Lesson learned :-(

any ceiling pre 1950 would have distemper / whitewash. it is lime based. always overboard why take any risk?.

Distemper can be washed off with warm water & sugar soap. No fun on ceilings though. Nicotines another pain in the 4rse

Status
Not open for further replies.