distemper/ whiteing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
got a ceiling to skim with whiteing or distemper on, any1 no if a steamer will remove it. cheers

Try rollering a drop of warm soapy water over it , let it soak, then scrap it back with your trowel if it has livened up, scrape it off, (then repeat) when your happy that most of it is off. you can seal and prime it in your usual way, or there is a distemper sealer on the market, (decorating supplier's).

Boarding isn't always an option if youv priced it just to skim or the client doesn't have alot of money though.

i always give them the option obviosly you cant gaurantee jobs if you are only over skimming old plaster especially old lath and plaster cielings

Boarding isn't always an option if youv priced it just to skim or the client doesn't have alot of money though.

exactly what i was thinking, grant boy..... i told the woman if she steamed it, it should fall off.

Ive skimmed over all kinds of crap haven't had a come back yet! 27years on the tools! (in this climate we have got to be cost effective or we'll all be on bosnian rates.)

every time distemper comes up on this forum i post this!.... STABILEX, made by artex, paint it on, pva it, away you go

i get it from brewers the paint merchants... no idea how it works mate! i'm a plasterer not a chemist! ;D

yeah... STABILEX is just stabalizing solution. but the problem i've got is that the ceiling has been painted will emulsion as well so it wont work. cheers for input

distemper is used for painting lime...... church's ect. its porus and dosnt like sticking to anything ;D
usualy white in colour.

you'll probably find that in domestic situation the distemper has been painted over with emulsion, to hide the fact that some of it feel off, the surface will be uneven, because the paint is thicker where the distemper is, and thinner where the distemper has fallen off. when i u see that, it got to be distemper.

still use stabilex even tho its been painted, it will work , i've done it before. use it alot as i seem to get plenty of jobs ib older buildings.

so what your saying...... the stabalizing solution penetrates the emulsion and the distemper, and sticks the distemper to the ceiling.... i dont think so some how

so what your saying...... the stabalizing solution penetrates the emulsion and the distemper, and sticks the distemper to the ceiling.... i dont think so some how
I didnt think so but ive just had a look mate and it says it penetrates and binds powdery surfaces together and improves adhesion to the surface sounds good stuff ive never seen it before.

what pug's saying is correct..... only if all that has been use is distemper, surely the stabalizing solution wont penetrate the emulsion because its not powdery, i maybe wrong though.

trust me...... im a painter and decorator stabalizing soulution is for powdery surface's.
emulsion isnt a powdery surface. ;D

but this is stabilex not stablizing solution, it has different properties. i've used it alot on distemper on plaster and painted backgrounds. it will work. nuff said.

na mate........ stabailex it is just a brand name, if you look on the container it say's stabalizing solution.
also the customer could of painted the ceiling with eggshell then emulsion over the top. then it definalty wouldn't penetrate.

sorry trowel, but i have to disagree, some stablizing solutions won't tackle distemper, stabilex will. i may have missed something..... are you saying the distemper has been painted over? surely the paint wouldn't of taken if it was distemper? anyway mate, i'll think we'll have to agree to disagree, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.