Distemper ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KRISW1888

Was away pricin 2 ceilings, both have distemper on them. Customer is defo not wantin to overboard as they have covin etc up. ( pish a know) Talked the customer into washin it down with water and sugar soap. What would be the best way to go here? Give it a coat of stabilex and then a PVA and skim or a coat of stabilex then somethin like WBA or Bond it then skim...

If you have talked the customer into washing it off then great. Just pva and skim.
I always prefer distemper removed completely. Once its gone it cant cause problems.

To be honest a would prefer to overboard and skim but the covin would need to come down. They customers are defo not budgin lol. So straight on with the 2 pvas and skim...

getting a customer to do anything properly is impossible.
stabilize it, pva, skim is what i would do and tell the ***** if it fails they pay twice

Same as above

Offer them the two options. If they choose the cheap one offer no guarantees

Thats what am thinkin jessop. Even if they were to give it a good wash it might be a safer option to stabilise and pva anyway. Am no washin it **** that.

Ideal fibrehand7 wish this was the case for me. Looks like its option 2 for me

Was away pricin 2 ceilings, both have distemper on them. Customer is defo not wantin to overboard as they have covin etc up..

you are the expert not the customer! just quote to overboard and cove, if he does not like that then forget him.

You forgot about the hammer distemper test. Tell the customer you need to tap the ceiling with a hammer to make sure its sound in ten areas. Use hammer with just enough effort to make a hole 10 times. Then say oh dear it has failed the test.It must be an overboard job:RpS_blushing:

overboard ! or walk away mate, distemper has/will cause countless headaches, the same as polytex and artex.
never let the customer dictate as you are the tradesman! and with an overboard you wont get a call back

You forgot about the hammer distemper test. Tell the customer you need to tap the ceiling with a hammer to make sure its sound in ten areas. Use hammer with just enough effort to make a hole 10 times. Then say oh dear it has failed the test.It must be an overboard job:RpS_blushing:

Lol! Sounds a good idea m8!

overboard ! or walk away mate, distemper has/will cause countless headaches, the same as polytex and artex.
never let the customer dictate as you are the tradesman! and with an overboard you wont get a call back

I would feel better overboardin but their for none if it. Quite stubborn couple. Its a gd we job aswell its right next door to me. After these ceilings they want hall, kitchen and livin room done , ceilings and walls. Tryin ma best here not to lose it as its next door. Nice we earner and no travel

If I'm honest in 25+ yrs plastering in theUk, I don't think I've ever seen distemper and if I have, I havnt recognised it and plastered over it anyways :confused:

If a skim them and they fall down ill just need to sneak in and out the backdoor

I would personally use thistle bond it creates the best key for the skim
to bond to, like others have said client might not wash the distemper of properly, expensive gear but cheaper than you getting called back, or the skim tearing on the lid!

If it's next door and it goes wrong they are next door and you have to live next to them.. Overboard and re-cove or nothing. No travelling (apart from getting mats) so give 'em a good price. You don't want bad neighbours - after all if they decline and get someone else they will soon come knocking on your door when it all falls off or they make a right mess.

If it's next door and it goes wrong they are next door and you have to live next to them.. Overboard and re-cove or nothing. No travelling (apart from getting mats) so give 'em a good price. You don't want bad neighbours - after all if they decline and get someone else they will soon come knocking on your door when it all falls off or they make a right mess.

A wouldnt really **** it up m8. Got a good enough name for my work. Seem to be gettin alot more work and recommended. Only started for maself in july. Their defo just want it skimmed. Ill see how it looks when he washes it etc.

to bond to, like others have said client might not wash the distemper of properly, expensive gear but cheaper than you getting called back, or the skim tearing on the lid!

Have you used thistle bond it over a distemper ceilin before m8? If so did you still use a stabiliser or straight on with the thistle bond it?

If you don't recognize its distemper you soon will do when you're skim starts bubbling off!
I've had it a few times and insisted 9.5mm over board.

I've re skimmed one yrs ago.. Thought id get away with it. Big patch in the middle started to bubble.. Gave it a few firm trowels and it seemed to do the job.. Could of so easily just bubbled and fell off.. I only recognise it as all the ceilings in my old nans had it and I plastered most of that

I would go for the bond it also but only if I had some kicking about in van

Status
Not open for further replies.