Different base coat performance

Members online

Edge your bets

Hi,

Just about to place an order for the adhesive and base coat for my house EWI. The top coat is the same as the house- Parex DPR Acrylic course.

For the extension we used Maite for adhesive and basecoat.

For the house I wondered if it wiuld be viable to use a cheaper adhesive than the Maite then use Maite as the base coat... then a friend recommended someone to buy from and they have suggested that all the base coats perform the same.

Does anyone know what the differences might be between the base coats as the price can be more than halved!

All I know if the Maite is a bit tricky to use : )

If your using a Parex system use Parex adhesive ie maitie, using mongrel systems ie different manufacturers products is bad practice.
If anything goes a miss down the line Parex won’t want to know.
It’s like any other product it has it’s quirks but once you use a bit it’s second nature.

Thanks Owls,

I know that you’ve kind of answered it above but what do you think about using different brands for adhesive but using the maite as a base coat? I’m relying on the mechanical fix much more than adhesive bond as the substrate is painted. We used more dabbing them on than in the base coat, so that would save a chunk of money!

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks Owls,

I know that you’ve kind of answered it above but what do you think about using different brands for adhesive but using the maite as a base coat? I’m relying on the mechanical fix much more than adhesive bond as the substrate is painted. We used more dabbing them on than in the base coat, so that would save a chunk of money!

Thanks,

Tom
I don't do this system, I've been in doors for many years , got a small extension to do with external insulation and would be approaching with the same mech fixing reliability , but I have a query ,, has anyone had their system fail and got a positive result from the suppliers and seen any type of compensation ?

Thanks Owls,

Thanks,

Tom
You pay your money you take your choice.

I don't do this system, I've been in doors for many years , got a small extension to do with external insulation and would be approaching with the same mech fixing reliability , but I have a query ,, has anyone had their system fail and got a positive result from the suppliers and seen any type of compensation ?
If you know what your doing you shouldn’t have any come backs in any case, if it’s going to fail its applicator error.its more to do with being manufactorer approved and issuing insurance backed warranties for mortgage providers etc.
I’ve seen so many bad fitted Ewi systems, ie water ingress or poor fixing around boiler flues etc.
One a few years ago was on some social housing that used a mongrel system and it failed due to water ingress, the housing association then sued the rendering outfit for a huge amount, to replace it all as the warranties issued were null and void, the manufactorer didn’t want to know either and the rendering outfit was struck off.

Just out of curiosity, where was the water ingress on the failed system?
I’m definitely going to stick with Maite for the base coat.
The rep said today that Maite started out as an adhesive, then they engineered it to be a base coat. It does indeed stick to everything! With a bit of spare I spread a bit on some osb... 6 months later it could bend loads before lifting... crazy stuff!

It came through from badly fitted verve trims, rainwater run down the back of the insulation, and caused all sorts of trouble.