Diagnosis needed - Damp on upstairs bedroom ceiling

Members online

gobrun

Hello,

We have a damp issue on our upstairs master bedroom ceiling. As per the images the damp manifests on the ceiling next to the external wall at the rear of the property. The double glazing is a couple of years old but we had the problem before the windows were fitted. The coving also gets damp and cold to the touch. It is worse in the mornings (room occupied by myself and my wife), especially in winter. Presumably our breathing puts more moisture in the atmosphere and this then condenses against the cold ceiling by the external wall.

There is a loft space above our bedroom with heavy insulation (unknown age/type but its very thick). The insulation was pushed right to the edge of the roof above where the damp appears up until spring this year. We moved the insulation away from the edge earlier this year as an experiment to see if ventilation is part of the issue. As far as I can tell its probably worse now with the insulation pulled away so I intend to move it back again.

I've also included a photo of the soffits immediately outside our bedroom window. Note there is no ventilation installed in these, but we believe it's just solid wood underneath the pvc soffits. Should these have vents installed in to the roof space?

We have tried to get a trade out to have a look, but after agreeing to come out on the telephone, they didn't show up. We should have persisted but you know how it is.

1. Has anyone seen a similar issue before?
2. Any recommendations on tackling/treating it?
3. The insulation?
4. What sort of trade is best if we do need professional help?

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6421.jpg
    IMG_6421.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 5,260
  • IMG_6423.jpg
    IMG_6423.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 8,212
  • IMG_6425.jpg
    IMG_6425.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,023
  • IMG_6427.jpg
    IMG_6427.jpg
    953.7 KB · Views: 3,460
  • IMG_6429.jpg
    IMG_6429.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 3,335
There’s plenty on here with a better clue than me but I wouldn’t say you have a ventilation issue. You have moisture getting in somewhere.

Likely be something to do with your roof. I would have roofers take a look. Slipped tiles, cracked tiles etc. Pointing on ridge, Decent felt etc etc.

There’s plenty on here with a better clue than me but I wouldn’t say you have a ventilation issue. You have moisture getting in somewhere.

Likely be something to do with your roof. I would have roofers take a look. Slipped tiles, cracked tiles etc. Pointing on ridge, Decent felt etc etc.

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your reply. It could have something to do with it. The felt is not in good condition.

However I don’t think it’s the main cause because the problem is much worse when it’s cold, not when it’s wet outside. I guess this suggests condensation?

I’d definitely get your roof checked out.

I see you have cladding. Could be cold spots.
Let’s see if we can get a second opinion here

Hmmmm.... @zombie ? @imago ? @essexandy ?
To be honest, I'm fresh out of free advice for the public. They rarely like the answer as it usually involves getting your hand in your pocket. So it gets ignored and the problem persists.

So my answer is, get someone round who knows what they're doing.

To be honest, I'm fresh out of free advice for the public. They rarely like the answer as it usually involves getting your hand in your pocket. So it gets ignored and the problem persists.

So my answer is, get someone round who knows what they're doing.
Fair enough!

Hello,

We have a damp issue on our upstairs master bedroom ceiling. As per the images the damp manifests on the ceiling next to the external wall at the rear of the property. The double glazing is a couple of years old but we had the problem before the windows were fitted. The coving also gets damp and cold to the touch. It is worse in the mornings (room occupied by myself and my wife), especially in winter. Presumably our breathing puts more moisture in the atmosphere and this then condenses against the cold ceiling by the external wall.

There is a loft space above our bedroom with heavy insulation (unknown age/type but its very thick). The insulation was pushed right to the edge of the roof above where the damp appears up until spring this year. We moved the insulation away from the edge earlier this year as an experiment to see if ventilation is part of the issue. As far as I can tell its probably worse now with the insulation pulled away so I intend to move it back again.

I've also included a photo of the soffits immediately outside our bedroom window. Note there is no ventilation installed in these, but we believe it's just solid wood underneath the pvc soffits. Should these have vents installed in to the roof space?

We have tried to get a trade out to have a look, but after agreeing to come out on the telephone, they didn't show up. We should have persisted but you know how it is.

3. The insulation?

Many thanks

Hello,

3. The insulation?

Many thanks

Some checks you can do yourself -

Check the condition and type of your loft insulation. Should be adequate, modern and in good condition.
Check the condition of your roof...this may be easier said than done, but there it is.
Check the condition of your external render - visually assess this. If it looks right, it probably is.
Check and clean all guttering and check that the roof slates actually come out over the gutter (I've seen it before)
I very much doubt it's this, but you could try ventilating the soffit - it's easy to do and costs only a couple of pounds.

Add. If it's condensation (I can't see) then also avoid doing stupid s**t like not using the cooker hood, drying on radiators and be sure to keep rooms adequately heated and ventilated.

Leaking roof and condensation mold I would say . Get a builder round to have a look as it's hard to assess from picures.