deposits n stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

niklas

hi guys.nearly comin to the end of me 8 week c&g,done a few private jobs in last couplo years and am hopin to join a firm or such as soon as ive finished.As well as this tho,ive had some cards made up which im gonna leave round some convenient places to attract jobs that i can do meself in spare time.I was wonderin tho if any of you ask for a deposit before you start a job?and if so,how much,10%,50%, or is it a no no?i intend on givin the customer a quote,breaking it down,showin cost of materials etc.Would i be out of order to ask for monies for materials in advance.....lots of questions!!!Am askin, as with the cost of the course(and not working while im doin it!),a house move,baby on the way,all this has skinted me out and id be gutted if i had to turn down any work.Dont get me wrong,if job just needed few beads n few bags of multi id be ok but if it was more..........your views always appreciated

i know some people do ask for a deposit but i dont and if i were you i wouldnt break jobs down to the customer as they are gunna know how much you are earning and what you pay for materials..just give a price and get an account and your closest (cheapest) building supplier..this way you dont have to pay anything out untill the job is done and you have been paid plus you can earn abit on the materials this way..also if you brake it down you will end up with the customer out looking for a better price for the materials and just asking for a price for the labour..

thanks mate that helps a lot,makes a lot of sense.just about to register as self employed so can work on site as a sub if i need to and of course to show that lovely taxman something for(some)of those other private jobs.are you self employed n if so was it easy to sort out?

it was that long ago i cant remember,whatever you do dont show what you buy materials for,its you that gets the discounts not the client and get a good accountant,good luck

how much discount are you guys getting??? lowest i can find a bag of multi for is just over three quid and ive gotta pretty much get a pallet for it...i can go to wickes with the general public (which is wot i do anyway) get a bag of multi for 3.79, 1.09 for angle bead, tenner for pva and 7 quid for 2 rolls of scrim....
i dont find it makes much difference...
the materials in plastering is 3/8 of sod all anyway, unlike most of the building trade where it can be roughly the same as the labour rate...
im honest with the customers...on a bigger job, say more than 75 quid on plaster ill take maybe 50 - 100 quid off em, or let em pay the delivery driver in cash on delivery, most people are happy with that...20 quid on materials can earn me 150 quid...
thats the main reason i just stick with plastering these days, no hassle, easy to price, take it or leave it sort of thing..

i price job, if i get it pay for materials my self (or account)
i get the vat knocked off at my supplier's place because i know the bloke through my old gaffer.
so job is a set price then materials on top rounded to the nearest £
ie labour £100
material £17.36
just go £120
i never take money from a customer until job is done and they are 100% satisfied.
i try not to let the customer know how much i charge for labour simply because they watch you like a hawk to see if you actually earn the £100.
private work can be tricky, you always get those customers who watch, interrupt, ask how you do it.
i once had a guy watch me from 7am til 6pm stood next to me talkin bollo*s !

i price job, if i get it pay for materials my self (or account)
i get the vat knocked off at my supplier's place because i know the bloke through my old gaffer.
so job is a set price then materials on top rounded to the nearest £
ie labour £100
material £17.36
just go £120
i never take money from a customer until job is done and they are 100% satisfied.
i try not to let the customer know how much i charge for labour simply because they watch you like a hawk to see if you actually earn the £100.
private work can be tricky, you always get those customers who watch, interrupt, ask how you do it.
i once had a guy watch me from 7am til 6pm stood next to me talkin bollo*s !
a wee flick with the scrub(water brush)usually gets rid of them

Big Segs you're getting robbed for your tape and beads. We buy these by the box load. Paying about £1.20 + vat for scrim and 49p for galvy beads, mini mesh and perforated 2.4m. 3m are a wee bit dearer but only few pence. Try Gorilla Hardware or Buildfix. Also saves time pissing about in the morning going to pick up materials. Where are you getting multi for that price, We're paying £3.72 from B&Q if you buy in quantities of 5 and probably use about a pallet a week?

its a little dedicated plastering suppliers in whittlesey,near pboro only small but its all they do, cant remember the bloody name of em now, been about a year since i used a pallet on a job, 90% of what i do is little 1 or 2 rooms, lots of ceilings, most of it overskim, odd bit of reboard...
if i had the space at home id prolly get a delivery every couple weeks or so.., might have to build another shed anyway...
could prolly get one of the bigger merchants down to about 3.50 inc on a pallet but id have to use em for everything then...went to travis the other day for some thincote stop, wickes run out...4 x 2.4's, bleeding tenner...takes the michael..
gonna have to start thinkin bout gettin beads by the box tho..get through loads....u gettin em online or something? and is that scrim ok? cant be doin with scrim that falls off 5 minutes after its put on, sometimes i get the lad goin round tapin up when i need loads on....big jobs etc...dont use loads on overskim tho...
had some off ridgeons at about 2 quid a roll and it was bloody shite....

The scrim is decent quality but can vary from one delivery to another. I like the thicker stuff but its got to be sticky! We've had a couple of batches that were crap but sent them back and they replaced them no probs. We used to use HWA but they have just went bust, the rep just moved back to build fix, just got a delivery of about 8 boxes of plaster and render beads but they're sitting out ma back door. We're very lucky as ma best mate/business partner auld boy has plenty of space at his bit so we store stuff there. We use Keyline (which is TP) sometrimes but they can rip the pish with the price of some things. The other day we ran out of angle beads for a roughcasting job, went to Keyline and they charged me £2.63+ vat per bead. We only pay 63p +vat. f**k**s!

Status
Not open for further replies.