damp proofing> sand and cement onto a plastic membrane

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i just need a little help on what mix to use on a plastic membrane.
The builder has fixed a plastic membrane to the wall its like an egg box pattern.
Do i just do a 3 and 1 mix for scratch with a bit of water proofer and a 4 and 1 for top and then skim it.
the wall as been treated its only 1 by 2 metres.
any help would be great
thank you

you should have the membrane with woven mesh if plastering onto material

you can use sand/cement but make sure you get through the string mesh (bit wetter mix than normal) to fill holes

i would just use a 4:1 with top coat 5:1 if you want to s/c it (thats what i would do )

they do recommend using bonding as backing coat as no damp should affect the plaster

thanks i wanted to bond it but builder is insisiting i use sand and cement. It is a plastic woven with mesh.
should i use waterproofer in he scrach coat. and should i use a little sharp sand in the scratch coat.
im gonna use plastering sand aswell for both coats
cheers graham thanks for the help

i would just use plas instead of waterproofer (there is no suction so may make sand/cement slump )

your scratch wants to be no more than 10mm ----

bonding sticks well----like shyte and blanket

that's the stuff

can't see any reason why hardwall would not be ok (i would have used it myself but was advised to use bonding ?)

Unsuprisingly the builder is a f*ckin moron!

He wants sand and cement because he thinks its more 'water proof', what does he think the plastic membrane is doing?

Thick f*ck!

the builder is a kin nob no need for s/c on this system its designed to be dabbed or a bonding coat its more prone to cracking aswell using s/c

depends what make of membrane it is,as they all vary.
i use the platonbase membrane made by triton,you can float directly over that using either bonding or a sand cement mix with there version of an sbr as an addative.
theres usually a different system for dabbing directly to it.if youve fixed it correctly using the correct amount of plugs and at the specified coverage you should have no problems with any shrinkage or substrate movement.

yes you can dabb it....

i have (to keep plaster same as the existing) gone over it with a lime render but took 10 days to dry and was a sod to do...

Builder is thinking sand/cement is cheaper, but I don't think its speccied for that stuff

It is cheaper, except you have to do it in 2 coats.

So he'll save 50 pence on gear and spend 100 quid extra on labour.

Do it in sand and cement mate and take more money off the thick c*nt :)

Cheers lads I told him I wasn't doing the job unless i done it in plaster he accept and
It's taken me alot quicker for the same cash. I couldnt
Really show him the comments on here but your right he isn't the brightest haha

they all do the same job regardless of makes -Soveriegn, Triton etc plenty of info on any of there sites.

delta membrane systems and other companys membrane can be plastered on as long as its got the mesh on the membrane!you can render it but its sh*t and slides around,you can buy a one coat plaster that can be spoung up or set on or dot and dab it or batten and board it but you need the specail fixings for the battens if you choose that option

Status
Not open for further replies.