Damp Proofing (Confused)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathon

Hello All
After some help on procedure for damp work as never attempted any but want to start as I am passing on jobs, whats confusing me is when I have read back through the threads on the subject there is quite a bit of different ways people do it, read up on thistle web site and they recomend use of Dri-coat on all post plastering damp jobs and this seems logical to me as it has all the ingredients mixed in and you just add water then apply it, scratch coat and multi finish on top but hardly anyone says they use it, also am i right in saying that the wall will need injecting first by a damp proof company. the height at which the wall should be stripped back also comes in at different figures ie some say 0.5 meter or 1 meter. all very confusing for a newbie like me, appreciate any help, cheers.
Johnathon

well it seems to me that youve had some experience in plastering mate but none whatsoever in general building practice...
bricks are like sponges, can you lay bricks?
do you know why we now have cavity walls as opposed to solid 9's or solid 13's?
do those two sentences make any sense to you with respect to the physics involved?
water will soak into anything that is porous..end of.
do you understand the meaning of suction?
if i train anybody i teach em from the ground up, i tell em WHY theyre doin what theyre doin and the consequences involved...
you seem to have jumped in at the wrong level, you sound like a rupert.
no disrespect intended but if you dont get it with the level of research you say youve done then judging by your question your never gonna get it...
do some research, or better still, go do some work mate...if you want a complete tutorial/breakdown of how to identify, hack off, treat and reinstall then say so...
oasis is 21..and that lads on with it...
the reason its confusing you is because you havent grasped the basics of why damp occurs in the first place, why plaster stays on the wall, what causes water to manifest itself internally not to mention condensation, salts etc...
go get an office job

Status
Not open for further replies.