Dabbin on painted brick

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

heafy

Would I get away with WBA the Walls and dab as norm, or even WBA then bond. Would they both work cos I've never had to do anythin over painted brick, only battoned out before and boarded

Yeah its not the boards sticking to the paint thats a worry, its the paint staying on the wall.

Just dab em on mate.i wouldnt bother with wba or pva just dab em on.I done a 1960's kitchen 2 year ago that had bright yellow and green gloss on the 3 walls,just dabbed and skimmed never had a call back.Done many others over the years and never had any problems.

skimmin2day said:
Just dab em on mate.i wouldnt bother with wba or pva just dab em on.I done a 1960's kitchen 2 year ago that had bright yellow and green gloss on the 3 walls,just dabbed and skimmed never had a call back.Done many others over the years and never had any problems.
Problem is I hav done it before for me uncle, I told him it wouldn't stick and it didn't ended up battening the walls out. I only wanna make sure cos it's a paying customer who's gonna hav a lot of work for me over the next 12 months. Thanks for ur replies anyway

Charge him for battening out aswell then mate ;)
I got a call to redo a garage conversion before that had been dabbed on with skim over silk Walls ???
the boards just fell off.
He didn't want it dabbed again with dri-wall etc so I charged him to batten them out aswell.
Better job & you know it'll never come off

Another option you could do is put a few masonry nails into the mortar joint where your dabs will be going,
just sticking out about half inch or so.
Don't need to do every dab(unless you want to ;D)just do it randomly on each board.
Once the dabbing sets rock hard around the nails it ain't going nowhere ;D
And it doesn't take as long as you'd think. ;)
I've done it before on a few jobs, last one was glossed brickwork.
It'll just give you that piece of mind that it ain't gonna drop off while your driving home ;D

have belted

i got a call to redo a garage conversion before that had been dabbed on with skim over silk Walls
the boards just fell off.

have sin this on blocks aswell the blobs of skim stick for a while then come away from the board.
i would just dab as normal then put a few fixings in just to make sure,using some screws that wont rust.
anyone ever horse a big long nail into blocks to pull a board in or stop it flapping till dab goes off a bit? rough but works a treat ;D

Drywall adhesive is suitable for low medium and high suction areas,vinyl silk and gloss is a low suction background.
So what is the problem?
There wil be no problems mate honest.If in doubt ring BGypsum technical helpline .

Just a rule of thumb, stick some strips of gaffer tape on the wall and leave for ten minutes then peal of if the paint comes of with it is probably best not to go on it. Needle gun or gypliner.
Lucius.

Good suggestion mate!!!!
You just gotta use common sense sometimes.
I had a consevatory to dab and skim a last year ,all the walls could be dabbed except one existing wall which was the boundary wall that had been painted with masonry paint several times over many years it was also only 4 inch wall with 6 foot pilars for rigidity.
Couldnt dab it for obvious reasons,but you can tell from the way the paint looks on the surface if it will take board adhesive 9/10 times.
At the end of the day look at it like this...the heavy board is only held onto the wall by a 0.5 mm thick piece of paper sandwiched between gypsum mineral and adhesieve !!!!!
i ve steamed wall paper of houses 120 years old and cant get the paint off!!!
Put some steam or water onto the paper holding the board onto the wall and see what happens??????
youe paniking about nothing just dabb

Status
Not open for further replies.