customers painting your good work!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

customers painting.. never sounds good reali. i hate the face that i go around doing gr8 work for some1 esle to apply a finish to.so much that i even made a step by step uid on how to paint witch i give to every customer..

they will make you look crap!

to day i was working while one was paintin the room i skimed last week.wow dint no you can roll sideways zig zag paint the windows and the carpet!

its hurts to watch

no rubbin down between coats nout!

C'mon then Oasis, give us your guide to painting new plaster. I just done 4 walls and a ceiling in my dining room and all I know is to apply watered down emultion 3:1 as a primer then 2 coats of emultion!

Is this O.K?

I honestly cant ever remember anybody rubbing a wall down between coats of paint.. woodwork yes but not walls..
i just tell em to let it go pink and give it a mist coat before 2 coats..
half the time people will get a room skimmed out cos it saves them all the prepwork of filling slight dents, removing wallplugs and rubbing down...
long as theyre happy who cares? anybody viewing your work can tell the difference between a slack or a trowel mark and a paint run anyway...
it's the decorator that looks crap....
slacks, trowel marks, rough beads and dodgy corners are what makes a plasterer look crap..
if you ever want to check out the skill of a plasterer just look closely at the corners, reveals, skirting lines etc...
what was it spunky once said? 'look after the edges and the wall will look after itself..'

;D
I thought 'contract' paint was just cheap paint in a big tub..
funny how you only ever get magnolia or white in 'contract emulsion'..
just get a dirty big tub of white for the ceilings... another silk one for the walls and buy little tins of colour to mix in with it..
ive heard of 'paint for new plaster'... wots all that about then? lot more expensive than 'contract' paint... maybe trowel addict can help??

most of the time i ask customers if they are painting it or getting a decorator in , and pretty much most of the time they diy it ,but you have to give them a bit of advise on how to do it correctly its all part of the job . I think helping people out goes a long way think of the bigger picture regarding future work and recommendations i dont agree with Grantyboys advice.

oh and granty boy thats a real bad attitude maybe you should learn a little bit more instead of just slapping it on you numpty ;)

madmonk said:
contract emulsion is vinyl free ;)
didnt know that! you can still get contract silk though cant you? or is that just me? im sure wickes do something similar.. contract matt and contract silk...??? maybe thats where i get my 'cheap paint' idea from?? ::)

yea you do rub down between coats its a much better finish.. i ent talkin RUB more or a brush down with sand paper to take the edge of the new paint,iv done alot of decorating over the years this isa good tip.like 5-10secons a walls just helps the finish so much..

yea let um get on with it like u said

little hollow spots, what you fill as you flatten off.. the ones you miss in crap light... the ones you get early and dont fill with fat or theyll always show up..
you knoooow....

madmonk said:
all new plaster should be painted with contract emulsion which is high opacity
[quote author=madmonk link=topic=2586.

paints systems 2 today have vinyl in them, which binds the system together...... contract paints dont, so there pretty much the same as distemper (shite)

dont use them :eek:

a pro painter will
lightly sand all work ( whether it needs it or not just for key)
Brush wash coat on all internal corner first , then wash coat all walls and ceiling using roller.
If the plasterers (german word) get the eazy fill out
Sand with 180 to 200 grit sand paper to take off any imperfections( and azyfill if plasterers (german word))
Then paint using non water down mix all internal corner with brush and roller using short shag roller all walls and ceilings
then again 200 to 240 grit all areas very lightly
then final internals with brush and roller the walls ceilings

When i paint my new plaster work for customers i always paint with a high opacity paint (leylland super laytex paint)
this allows the new plaster to breath.if you apply a silk or soft sheen type paint the plaster cannot dry properly and longevtiy will be affected to the plaster.if you note most new builds are painted in magnolia paint thats becuse it high opacity paint they have used.
when plaster turns pinks its dry right ??wrong..... its still drying beneath and can take upto 6 weeks to dry fully dependent on drying conditions /background etc so by applying the wrong paint can cuase serious problems later with the plaster.no need to water paint down if you use the right paints.Coat everything in laytex white (unwatered) then 2 coats of magnolia.
After first coat of white do any filling as it will be more obvious after the base coat.

That was 2 proffesional answers by phypsy & skim they obviously know what they are talking about the only thing i can add that over here we use an acrylic primer but the paint is different.
Lucius.

I thought you watered down the paint just to thin it a bit cause when I have tried to roller neat paint on a freshly plastered wall the lines off the end of the roller were drying like mad and were a b*****d to get rid of. then once that coat was on bang on 2 coats of neat paint.

Live and learn eh :)

Rich you always mist coat first or prime to the manufacturers spec the biggest problem that people have with rolling emulsion is that they try to rush it just take your time and get it right.
Lucius

Unfortunately mate a bit of patience is needed but trust me when you get to my age and your bones are realy creaking you will be lusting to do a bit of painting.
Lucius.

the customer was makin such a mess i went home ot my kit and gave her an hour of my time to misst coat the room for her and tell them how its done..!

Just a little add to this, Macpherson Eclipse paint,made for new/fresh plaster... fantastic stuff , water permiable so can paint wet plaster, well in semi dry conditions anyway , me pesonally i would still wait for pink and then prep as stated above.but seen plenty of developers paint next day .10ltrs for 12 quid or 20 litres for 19 quid...this stuff is really good white and magnolia are the only colours but its made just for new plaster...cant say enough about the stuff...poos on dulux trade etc from a great height for a hell of alot less money

yes ...ive used Macpherson paint many times its good stuff,all these breathable (high opacity paints) only seem to come in magnolia and white why ??????????????????
As nice as Magnolia is.....not every customer wants magnolia paint on new plaster with a standard white ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.