CSCS

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Chaps,

This is pretty much a question that does keep coming up and well I am still none the wiser.

Next february I am off travelling around the world for a year and well I hopefully not going to need to pick up a trowel as my web businesses are looking like they will be substantal enough to pay for it.

Anyway I really think its going to be beneficial if I have got my NVQ2 and a CSCS card just in case things go tits.

SO how do I apply for an OSAT what is need and how quick can I get it done?

Danny

Get in touch with a college near you that delivers plastering and give them a ring, failing that try Construction Skills (old CITB) who should be able to point you in the right direction. You need to be able to evidence how long you have been plastering and have a portfolio of jobs that you have done to prove to the the assessor that you can do what you say.

Gary

I have been looking on the CITB website

I can seem to find a local center to me.

My local college is useless

Danny

Hey Danny robospread here I am an OSAT assessor for NVQ's, :) what do you want to know, can put you in touch with people in your area or give advice. I know the problem you face as evevn the top bods dont know theyre arse from theyre elbow.

hello,

Today I phoned up and have sent my details to do it, They said that because I have GCSE's I dont get funding so they want £700...

Anyway I have sort of a portfolio but the troubel is I work mainly on my own so picture are before during and after not aftually many of me doing the job.

What is in the criteria for the NVQ 2?

What is good eveidence and bad evidence?

What If i hate floor screeding?

I have so many questions?

What do they normally come out and see you doing? how long are the visits for?

Thanks Robo spread

Thanks everybody

Danny

Whoah where to start you need some good advice big fella! With regards to NVQ2 sylabus is as follows...
Units VR01, VR02, VR03 are all health and safety related and assessor can look at certifictes you already have or just watch you work he will sign these off as he goes no stress. Then VR66 is internal ie float and set, plus few beads ,dead easy. next isVR67 external should be straight forward.Then you have To choose two units from list of options easiest being VR65 (skimming) and VR68(dot and dab). Assessor should visit you to witness you do these things takes on average 6-8 visits. he will also ask questions to make sure you know your onions. Photos not so important. Hope this clears up few issues. SPREAD ON!

I dont' know whether l've missed something on the cscs card website or if l'm just been stupid, but can you get a cscs card without registering for NVQ, i've justed started out and don't feel l have the exprience for OSAT, but cant afford to go and do the course

Robo,

What if I dont do any float and set work? In fact I know that I dont because all my work is mainly re skims and boarding.

I have a certificate from gold trowel saying I can do all of the above to a high standard, will that mean anything?

I have a video of my rubbing up some render...lol

Fank you very much...lol

Danny

Robo,

Can you OSAT the basic route NVQ?

Gary

PS Danny the Gold trowel certs are only certs of attendance if you did a short course.

Ok firstly yes you can get CSCS card without an NVQ but you must have at least some basic quals ie ICA or level 1 city and guilds but then you are still only eligible for 1 year trainee card, still better than a slap in the face!

Danny you can still get NVQ 2 but you need the basic route as this does not include float and set as mandatory requirement. You need only prepare backgrounds(VR62) and apply finishing plaster (VR65) as mandatory and one optional unit from a long list as well as the three that ive mentioned before VR01, VR 02 and VR 03 but these are not plastering as such.

And to the other guy who wasnt sure about OSAT (sorry forgotten the name) provided you have approx 2-3 years site experience you should be eligible.
SPEAD ON guys!

The GT cets are not attendance certificates, so whoever told you that is nonesense. When Iwas there there are clear indications and copies of all certificates on display listing all the VR units/modules that you do. As for OSAT did mine in two visits. It's about how well prepared you are to achieve the OSAT.

hiya danny

if you do the NVQ2 plastering you dont have to do the units that you dont want to i.e floor screeding there are mandatory units and optional, the optional ones are the ones with floor screeding, these are the units

VR 01 Conform to general workplace safety mandatory
VR 02 Conform to Efficient Work Practices mandatory
VR 03 Move and Handle Resources mandatory
VR 62s Prepare background surfaces for plasterwork mandatory
VR 66 Produce internal solid plastering finishes
VR 67 Produce External solid render finishes
VR 65 Apply finishing plaster to background surfaces mandatory
VR 68 Install direct bond dry linings
VR 69 Lat sand and cement screeds
VR 70 Apply projection plaster and maintain equipment
VR 71 Install mechanically fixed plasterboard

you only have to choose 1 of the non mandatory to make up your full nvq (most students pick VR71 or 67 (in the summer), if i was you i would contact train to gain http://www.traintogain.gov.uk/ and they will refer you to the nearest provider, this is free provided you are self employed and do not have a level 2 qualification (just keep saying no when they ask you questions) and you will get your nvq for free through OSAT or traditional route and your "skilled CSCS card" which is the icing on the cake.

Hope all goes well mate!!

on a very impartial point here to all of the conversation about certs of attendance, please look very closely at how the companies and websites word there course descriptions. we have gained accreditation and are very proud of the masively hard work and money that it cost us but there are so many companies that claim to offer "fast track" or "equivilant to NVQ" or "have NVQ assessors" and it really is quite dangoerous for the paying customer. Every approved center will dsiplay their "approved center number and CITB/CAI logo" which can only be used by aproved centers. city and guilds dont award nvq's in plastering only CITB/CAI.

i have no finacial gain by this but really get peed off with people being sold the wrong thing, if you want a 4 day or 3 week course fine and if you want an NVQ fine but they are 2 distinctly different things. an NVQ assessor can only aknowledge previous qualifications as competence becasue they prove competence wheras as certificate of attendance simply means that you have attended, i hope i havent offended and hope that any of you looking for courses look a bit deeper into whos providing the training/qualification before investing your hard earned cash. :mad:

I must just correct the guy who listed the NVQ units above, for the FULL NVQ 2 the mandatories are VR 01, 02, 03, 66 and 67. The rest are options, the simplest of which is VR 65 skimming. I think what you have listed is the BASIC route.
Robospread

Robospread + Danny

many applogies about that, i was on my fourth glass of vodka at time of writing and done it with one eye open. i stand corrected

AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!!

Been trawling the internet, asking mates who work on site and reading and RE-reading this thread, Still non the wiser! :-[ As a domestic plasterer with 2.5 yrs experience can I get an nvq assessor to come round without having to pay £900 odd for a course that will show me nothing i don't already know.(sorry if that sounds arrogant) I'd like i cscs card because i keep getting offered site work and i hate turning work away! ;D

I don't know about the ins and outs of it but I'm in a similar position pug.
I contacted my local college and they said they'd come out and assess me on the basic modules.
£600!

I did my NVQ2 using goldtrowel. I was OSAT tested by Chris and Andy, the Goldtrowel Units such as VRO'S1-3 goes with your APL within the portfolio. Those guys there are usfull, they are funded I think via some college in London, I think you will find that if went to GT on courses more than 12 months ago, they have channged things dramatically, that's why I chose them. Spoke to my mate up in the Midlands the other day that went via Goldtrowel for the NVQ2 as well and Andy at GT went there to assess him. He his just waiting for his cert to come through. oFF to OZ in July and I ain't coming back cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.