Critique my work !!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashmilson

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi guys thought I would share what I have done today to get some positive feed back as I'm new to the forum, haven't rendered for some time now and don't get big walls to spread on. After looking at some post I took on the advice and went as follows

1. Wet down surface of walls with sbr bond (neat) after the walls were scored with angle grinder

2. Eml were nailed on over any joints

3. Sbr bond mixed with cement applied as a stipple to rendered wall (acting as a key)

4. 1st coat or render applied at 2-2-1 (sharp -building- cement) with waterproofer this coat was to get to existing render

5. 2nd coat went straight over the 1st coat at the same mix ratio all in all a thickness of 12mm were applied

6. After a day of setting 3rd coat was applied to 10mm stop beads and a Belfast bead above damp proof corse mix ratio at 5-1-1 (plastering sand -cement-lime )

7. Rubbed up with float n sponge .

I think I achieved a good job but the only problem was the setting time I was all on at 9:30 in morning and did not get away till 5:30 I was there ages twiddling my thumbs. The rain did come down and it was cold but that can't play that much of a factor?

too much sbr?

Please advise and enjoy

So it was a mix of rendering over old and new?
i would of been inclined to remove the old,
I would of splatter coated the walls with sbr mixed at 3/1 with cement ,
I would of scratched with 4/1 sand cement with wp.
i would of meshed this or used fibres depending on how I felt,
I would gave awaited a week then floated with 5/1/1 sand cement lime.
the finish looks ok, the lasting of It ! I query.

Last edited:
Just to get a understanding. Why wait a week? The wall has not fully set?

any solution why it took ages to set?

thanks for ur time

Ok that's fine will take that on. Does it matter if I'm guna tyro lean it? That's the plan next week? Any suggestion to speed the setting time from9:30 -5 to a lot faster time, say 12ish?

Just to get a understanding. Why wait a week? The wall has not fully set?

any solution why it took ages to set?

thanks for ur time
timing of a floating coat setting is open to many things, elements such as the weather,temperature moisture etc, thickness of first coat, substrate under first coat, whether first coat was allowed to cure, amount of waterproof and or sealant such as sbr will all affect drying time

Thanks john will sure to keep all that in mind I was jus all set on not to get hairline cracks/ crazing I may of gone crazy. With sbr waterproofer etc. thanks for the input great help:RpS_thumbup:

Ok that's fine will take that on. Does it matter if I'm guna tyro lean it? That's the plan next week? Any suggestion to speed the setting time from9:30 -5 to a lot faster time, say 12ish?

Don't close the surface in with a trowel and it will take up quicker

Thanks john will sure to keep all that in mind I was jus all set on not to get hairline cracks/ crazing I may of gone crazy. With sbr waterproofer etc. thanks for the input great help:RpS_thumbup:
A little bit of rapid would help on a cold day, say two shovels per mix,problem with this is salts appear later on..

Olican that's fine but going to put Belfast on top of door to act as a anti drip. Could not fix properly as they were a concrete lintel ther.,but thanx for the mention

No no not short if owt was over I got 1 3m bead 1m either side of door n head 2 stop beads over mind which I want happy about. Over ordered as I did not take in proper measurements just guessed while I was ther learned my lesson I kno school boy

Your the man Essex, am I even worthy talking to you. We're here to help and share ideas. Any1 can snag another mans work and b a ***k about it. I'm guessing ur not getting any from this missus that's why ur taking it out on so many.

Your the man Essex, am I even worthy talking to you. We're here to help and share ideas. Any1 can snag another mans work and b a ***k about it. I'm guessing ur not getting any from this missus that's why ur taking it out on so many.
Andy gets plenty, I never turn him down (his felching is second to none) is this job getting tyroleaned? Are you putting Belfast bead on after floating? :RpS_confused:

Don't worry about being worthy to talk to me moosh you're not worthy of being on what's supposed to be a forum for plasterers, although you're far from the only one on here.
I'm starting to think this forum may be as big a problem encouraging the chancers as the courses are.

Can u dumb that down for me. Do u mean don't over trowel?

Once u have it on the wall , darby or feather edge it so its pritty flat , u will see the surface is rough or open . If u troweled it it will go shiney/watery on the surface and seal it as such and takes longer to go off :) really you should just straight edge it then rub it up when ready

Was the customer/main contractor/whoever happy with it? did you get a pull or a mention about the top of door?

end of the day, there's more than one way to skin a cat. You only have to answer to the customer, if they're happy with it, and you've got a decent finish and it lasts, how you done it is neither here nor there.

Any hoo what i would like to know is has a referendum been held in northern ireland over the removal of belfast and it's subsequent installation over a door somewhere in yorkshire and can the lintel take that kind of weight ? has sein fein been made aware of this ? and last but not least would it not of been easier to install a bellcast bead above the door instead :RpS_confused:

Don't worry about being worthy to talk to me moosh you're not worthy of being on what's supposed to be a forum for plasterers, although you're far from the only one on here.
I'm starting to think this forum may be as big a problem encouraging the chancers as the courses are.

It took me like.. half of a complete hour to read your entire message you just poetically wrote to Ashmilson while eating my chip butty.. with gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.