Creame of tarter my best friend big gauges more ££££

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I used to use creme of tarter in a pinch. Now days I usually have some USG retarder and I also keep some
Hydrated Calcium Sulfate to make my plaster set faster.

Hi @Loren in what quantities for the additives?
Hey Radford, you never use much at all. It all depends too, used to be a couple of years ago that our veneer plaster would set a lot faster than it does now. Maybe they increased the set times to give the new workforce more time to work the material and increase the shelf life a few more weeks? Used to put around a tablespoon of retarder into a 5 gallon bucket of veneer plaster, now days I probably wouldn't put any into the mix or I might put a very small amount of accelerator into the mix. Up until a couple of years ago we used agricultural gypsum to accelerate a mix and now they've quit carrying it and instead they have been carrying the Hydrated Calcium Sulfate, you only need about a third as much of that, it's been some getting used to after having it in your head the amount of agricultural gyp that was previously needed to do the job. I'm also still adjusting to the 50 pound bags, I like carrying them but I still catch myself wanting to think in terms of 80 pound bags when I'm pricing a job. They lowered the weight of the bags and never dropped the price in fact the price has been going up every time I pick up material.

You can buy the little tubs of it in Asda. We fill the lid up and add a lid full per bag of finish

Tarter works fine I used to keep a tub in my bag when I was house bashing In case I got some bad bags or the water on site was a bit dirty and making the gear go off. About a lid or a palm full per bag mixed does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.