Crazy DIYers

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandview

Its that time now when domestic work should be flooding in with people getting started on their diy projects over the bank holiday.

It has reminded me of a time i went to skim a wall for a chilled out black geezer who loved to do all his own diy. He had built his own extension a few years back and decided to have some of it skimmed so he could build an office. I loved it when i got there cos the man was so bad at it i just couldnt keep a straight face with him.
He had built himself an en suite for it. He had put plasterboards on his back door and then fixed a wc pan to it. He probably didnt even bother to lock the door cos it rattled a bit. I went outside in the garden to find the cistern was on the outside of the back door. All pipework to the basin was bent over the knee with kinks and leaks on all joints. I skimmed it for him cos thats what he wanted but id be surprised if it is still there now.

Have any of you fellas seen some amazing diy work?

When I was working in London an I****n fella asked me to look at his house as he was a bit worried that his friend and neighbour was doing some thing wrong when taking half the chimney stack down. Instead of taking the top half away he had literally taken it in half vertically, even toothed the bricks, when I went inside he had taken down each breast and had stacked them in the middle of each floor which were sagging pretty bad. I accrow propped each floor and rebuilt the breasts and then done the stack for him, I'm amazed how it was still standing.

that was close stone....
ive known people hack out breasts from the bottom... big skylight..
ive come accross quite a few where theyve ripped out the bottom section and left the upstairs sittin on floor joists with a 4x2 trimmer NAILED in.. no hangers..
surprised they stayed up too..
and ill bet ive turned out some absolute crud in my younger days too ;D
i once nearly took my thumb off trying to 'snatch' a rad pipe in a ceiling..
i got the iso valve ready, locked off, olive ptfe'd, nut back on..
cut the pipe with a pipe slice, put my thumb over the end to stop it flooding the place while i got the iso out my pocket..
then dropped the bloomin valve!
dropped down off the hop up to recover the valce and blow the water..
forgot the pipe was razor sharp..
could see the bone..

I think the only thing that kept the rest of the stack up was the brickwork resting on the joists into the roof void. I've had a couple of stingers as well, one of the most painful that springs to mind when I was on this job and both the husband and wife followed me everywhere asking me stupid questions all the time, by the afternoon I was really getting my moss off so made an excuse and went out to my van, they only followed me out and was talking pwp. I slammed the side door in temper and forgot to take my thumb away: ouch say no more

bloke i know took a jackhammer to an old floor in a victorian house to put a wetroom McAlpine trap in..
prevous tennent had screeded straight over a hatch in the floor..
bloke ended up in the cellar, jackhammer and all ;D

Many years ago,I worked on a coalface for 12yrs and to cut a long story short, a roof bar was coming down on a guys back and I tried to catch it. My knuckles bent back so far they nearly touched my forearm, my wrist is now fused in one position. That hurt as well.

put a stanley through the tendons on my little finger few years back puttin a carpet down in a company van.. cant bend it now, still, looks posh at dinner parties ;D

bigsegs said:
put a stanley through the tendons on my little finger few years back puttin a carpet down in a company van.. cant bend it now, still, looks posh at dinner parties ;D

:D

worked on a site once and a ground worker put a jack hammer through an electric main, killed him.

A good friend works for and runs a very large Scaffolding company in london ( fairly well known in those circles)....they lost 3 guys when their scaffolding collapsed at wembley stadium....funny u never saw or read about that it on TV or in the papers!!
A mates scaffold collapsed on me about 5 year back i fell about 12 feet onto hardcore..broke 3 ribs.....couldn't cough, sneeze, laugh or .... without silly pain...dangerous game on site....

About 17 years ago i was doing a dashing job and a lab left a trap between two towers , i ended up fifteen feet below on a rockery got up slapped him and carried on :-[ :-[ worst of it i grabbed hold of my brother to stop me from goin, he thought i was pissin about and shrugged me off the w**k*r

Status
Not open for further replies.