Crazing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

john simpson

nightmare job today
walls hot as hell , 2 coats PVA and started crazing , put way too much on as they were big straight walls and by the time i realised what was happening i was in a boxing match to try save it.
Ended up looking ok but i can still see fine grazing when i look close , walls drying ok and so far arent blown but cant take the cash off the client till it fully dries.
Whats my chances of it staying? What happens fine crazing , will the paint dry right?

Never happened me in all my years , one time i didnt unibond it myself as i would of noticed the suction, but two strong coats and i watched the labourer and he did it right.
I didnt buy it either , was some BQ stuff , 10l for £14 which is a bit iffy but said contractors PVA

Was such a struggle i dont really want to start over again.
Really upset over it , but explained what happened to client and told him to keep payment till fully dried , if it blows then he will be expecting it and said it was easy to fix , just let me fecking unibond it right!

4 hours and 6 bags on , i dont think ive ever worked as hard in all my life trying to save it.

Oh background was blown skim from steamer so onto S&C.
thats always hot but i was watching him put the 2nd coat PVA on and it was hanging

If it blows it blows, just a shite day.
Because of that struggle I didn't get to pull everything else in.
Unibonded the other 2 walls myself and they were fine but a load of heads, reveals, sides of fireplace, 2 corners boxed in and one of the window walls every shape.
Should of pulled the lot off and preped right at the start.
Right im away to spoons, I think I deserve some cider

IMG_20150722_191916866.jpg

As malc said...though I go with finish/bonding coat for 1st coat...

1 thing I was taught from old lad that I used to work with was always drop back after your first couple of m2s and check whats going on before smashing loads on..the amount of times that saved my bacon is unreal!!!

the other is to carry a sponge float and get used to timing with 1 when a wall is catched properly with a spongefloat the finish is flawless....what most people get wrong is sponging when its to far gone the correct time is much earlier was probabley at the time you started troweling up...id of ditched troweling up and sponged it back...

but yeah its a shitter mate weve all been there...im in an attic conversion in couple of weeks il be like that every day!!!!

few drinks, ive onl a we wall to rub up tomorrow.
thanks for the replies , pure nightmare of a job at times but ive been very luck to do some other careers and when its going well being on the tools beats them all, i enjoy it.
some good ones , yes i think i blended in tonigt to spooneys but if you aint been to the wings wednesdays you are missing out:)
clemo , i left it years ago cos i hated it too , all my family did it so i was at it from a kid.
done a lot of what would be considered fancy jobs , they have problems just as shitey.
My number one problem is trying to do too much and not realising im not 25 anymore

Jerek , Sika cunty bond , i fairly cursed that all morning :)
gotta be pure shite , even the unbranded b and q does a better job , had a 5 litre and did the rest of the walls in it and no probs as usual.
melt of a day , but enjoyed the pints , think i might of had a nervous breakdown swearing at the walls and crappy pva and the poor guy who did it :) there is more to life , i see that now :)
nite folks , may the Nela make our lives easier

same thing happened to me last week m8 , i was only skimming out a box room . put 2 walls on flattened and trowelled em up lovely . went had a bite to eat in the van came back laid on the other 2 walls when something caught my eye on the walls id done the set before , small cracks in the plaster :mad: so for the rest of the afternoon i was trying to keep 2 walls under control while constantly misting the two walls starting to crack on me :mad: the room was like a f*****g sauna to :mad: and it was a friday lol went back this week and it was all good tho . so know what you mean lol 12 years ive bn doing this now and thats the first time thats happened lol :mad: but s**t happens in this trade lol the beers later tasted all the better at least !!! lol:birra:

B&q pva ain't worth sh it
Had plaster curling off the wall about 10 years ago. I don't think that would have happened if I'd have just wet the wall in. May as well use milk.

to update , client is well happy and wants to pay me , says its well bonded and dried fine.
Suppose lessons learnt , do the unibond yourself , as much of a pain and simple job it seems , its when you check for suction , loose bits , do all the normal prep without even thinking about it.
Not all PVA is the same , wouldnt have much confidence in the Sikabond now and when your putting it on yourself sometimes you notice its thinning down or thickening up and can adjust to suit.
When s**t happens like that , just drop back and fix it.
And most important of all - dont drink 6 pints of 8% cider no matter how easy a job you think you have the next day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.