Cracks in drying plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbaigent

Hi all, new to the forum. Sorry if this is a regular question, I have done a search but haven't been able to find anything!

I have just finished stripping woodchip wallpaper from the walls which was fitted from new, which was 1980. There are multiple spots where the plaster had blown ranging from 8 inches round to floor to ceiling. I have spends all day re skimming it all and noticed that there are multiple cracks appearing while it dries. The larger areas are ok and crack free as I've manage to get 2 good coats on and a good final finish. the smaller areas where harder as I couldn't really get 2 coats on as it was too thick and I wasn't really able to flatten it or polish it.

Could this his be the reason for the cracks or have a mixed it incorrectly. The room have been cold with good circulation of fresh air. I have also PVA'd it 1st coat 50:50 and second coat was thicker!
Any my help is greatly appreciated.

thanks very much,

matt

Plaster cracks with either 2 much suction or 2 little suction pva too strong maybe, or you didnt get all of th wood chip off and pulling it in to quick.:RpS_unsure:

The reas8n I say pva too strong is I have been there before in my early days I decided to ignore my boss and did 2 coats of full strength pva and hairline cracked all over:RpS_blushing:

Shall I just stick with a 50/50 ratio then.
Dependant on substrate I usually use a 5.1 then a 3.1 get pleanty on with the first coat you want it to absorb int8 the substrate and occupy the open space and tiny air pockets, second coat wants to be put on nice and even with no runs or exess, wait till tacky then skim:)

Ok, that's where I may have gone wrong as it was a thick second, left to get tacky but maybe was still to wet and thick. Thanks for all your help, will have a another attempt at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.