cracking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

euan

Hi everyone,
I thistle bonded a wall yesterday skimmed today. In the middle of the wall after 2 wet trowels and final dry trowel the wall started to hairline crack.
The wall is a re-skim in an old house.
Should i have pva the wall in the morning?
Thanks

Yes , sounds like bonding was too dry and any cracks that have appeared in that have come through or suction and the key you put on the bonding wasnt good enough and plaster has not took to it properly

You don't know what youre doing mate. You already bondit so why you talking about pva? :RpS_thumbup:

There must be some kind of deflection in the wall beneath (old wall ) that has moved and cracked it by the sounds.....

If its bonding, you don't pva the next day. You scratch, wet with water then you skim :RpS_thumbup:

If its bonding, you don't pva the next day. You scratch, wet with water then you skim :RpS_thumbup:

You do. I dont. I give it a really weak pva if im skimming next day. Like every other plasterer ive worked with does

Only a noob calls it thistle bonding. He dont mean bonding, hes talking about the green stuff. Thats why hes calling it thistle bonded.

Lol, read it half doz times and still can't decide! ... " thistle bonded it",, " thistle bond it ed" ??? He said it's a reskim tho?:RpS_unsure: feck knows:RpS_laugh:

Yes mate, thistle bond it green and painted on.
not bonding coat.
I thought the wholepoint of it was so that you didnt have to use pva.

Whys he skimming someones house when he dont know what hes doing?

Might be his own house he's bonded it or bondit ed lol. Or has he just used water on his bonding or has he pva'd it??? He might not have clue?? We just don't know?

Sorry about confusion, thistle bond it, is what I have applied to the wall, like you said b1lly you should not need pva, why did it start cracking?

Sorry about confusion, thistle bond it, is what I have applied to the wall, like you said b1lly you should not need pva, why did it start cracking?

Bond it is for low suction mate. Thats why it has lots of grit in it. It sticks like **** but it don't seal the wall properly and there is still some suction left afterwards. You were too slow with the first coat. Next time you gotta get that second coat on quick to re wet the first one otherwise its gonna crack :RpS_thumbup:

Better use gyprime next time and you wont have the same problem :RpS_thumbup:

lol, iv been skimming 16 years and never used such expensive glue lol its just glue with aggregate right , n some green die.....

lol, iv been skimming 16 years and never used such expensive glue lol its just glue with aggregate right , n some green die.....

It's good **** mate. Aint much more than pva really. You can even water it down 50% to make it go further (not on gloss paint tho) :RpS_thumbup:

I've used tonnes of blue grit on old walls and never had a problem with suction/cracking. Timing is always just right.

The advantage of using a primer like blue grit, is you apply it once then skim.

Saves time over PVA which often needs more than one application.

looks to be about £70, for high suction backgrounds, so where do you get your key from if it kills the suction ? surely stabilizer would do the same at a fraction of the cost !!

looks to be about £70, for high suction backgrounds, so where do you get your key from if it kills the suction ? surely stabilizer would do the same at a fraction of the cost !!

It can be diluted 1 part to 5 parts water. It soaks into the surface (unlike pva which sits on the surface like a film). You dont need grit unless the surface is smooth and non porous like vinyl silk or gloss paint :RpS_thumbup:

long as you dilute pva to the correct measures it can be used as many things, a sealer, stabilizer and adhesion.

ie, put neat pva on dry/dusty suface and you ll get a dusty skin left over once dry, no good as a key..just acts like a layer between the 2.... watery pva the same background and it allows it to soak into the layer enough to seal it / stabilize it. ready for hardwall,skimming,dabbing etc....

It can be diluted 1 part to 5 parts water. It soaks into the surface (unlike pva which sits on the surface like a film). You dont need grit unless the surface is smooth and non porous like vinyl silk or gloss paint :RpS_thumbup:

Ive used the knauf version for years Billy with no problems, also their betekontakt.

Status
Not open for further replies.