cracking

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp71

howdy, got a call back today for a job i did a while ago. 2 walls cracking like spiders webs all over them, other 2 walls are fine. did the usual at the time, prepare walls, pva then 2 coats of multi, house is about 40 or 50 years old, any ideas, thanks in advance ;D

it was just a reskim over the old emulsioned walls, no hollow bits all sound and looking great when i finished..

Its a chance we all take on reskims over old plastered walls.Its with the heat of the house making it move on the brickwork.Nine times out of ten you will get away with it then you will get one comeback and think why did i do it.You can only go on what the customer wants,most customer s will just fill in the cracks themselves and re paint it.

thats what i told the lady today, house is like a green house, was just odd that it was only two walls the fireplace and radiator ones

I did one last year and the two walls that cracked were the fire place in one room and the opposite room. So both sides of the fireplace. Could be something to do with the soot affecting the bricks and old plaster?!

never thought of that, knew it wasnt the wayid done it cause theyr all done the same cheers youv put my mind at rest

if you come across lime render again give it a coat of stabilex instead of weak pva then pva or bonding agent on top

i did an over skim last week and most of the walls cracked! luckily i am also wallpapering them all

skimmin2day said:
suction control !!!!!!! control it.

why would it be anything to do with suction when the walls were fine for weeks and all of a sudden they get hairline cracks, and only on a couple of the walls.

If it was anything to do with suction it would happen within the first few days or hours of plastering it.

in most houses the walls haven't seen any moisture for years, bone dry walls will suck the living daylights out of your plaster not just in the short time it takes to plaster the walls start to finish but for the next few of days afterwards leaving the plaster brittle prone to shrinkage and premature cracking .

Status
Not open for further replies.