Cracking troubles..

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken_Spread

Afternoon,

Got a problem wall (in my own house thankfully) that refuses to be skimmed.  Its a joining wall with a neighbours house and has been treated for damp on a few occasions.  The whole wall has been hacked back to brick recently and tanked (sika), left for ages to dry out and then skimmed but the area behind teh rad just keeps blowing.  :mad: Like I said this is just the most recent effort, been done a good few times and always with the same result.  Any ideas?  :-?

Not really, the walls tight up against a door at one end, would mean hacking it all off again to create enough depth. Plus the house is fair old and wanted to keep the walls solid. Respect ;)

Swear the things haunted :eek:

What is the wall rendered in ? how think is the skim coat ?are re skimming the hole wall or just making behind the rad ? What is the key like on the backing coat ? is the wall soft red brickwork

The dividing wall between teh houses is red brick, fairly damaged from damp as I remember.  It was rendered up in s&c in line with all the regs sika give you - slurry, thin coat, more slurry, then built up in two coats using splatter coats for key rather than scratching so as not to break the "seal"  ...right carry on when you're not getting paid for it!   Skimmed up as usual with multi.  

Would like to just make good where it's messed up behind the rad if poss, but like I say this ain't the first time this part of the wall has gone tits up.   :-/  

Cheers!

ill vouch for the seka gear,good stuff,but if damps trapped itll move to another area of wall to get out.could it get thru were the rads were refixed?

Trouble is red brick it dont like s&c render especailly a strong mix, back in the day when the bricks were rendered it was prolly in lime nice and soooooft and flexxxxable, anyway modern techniques and materials in old buildings = cracks also do the cracks start at the rad brackets ?

The cracks aren't coming right from the fixings, the whole area behind the rad just comes away. Thought it must be teh heat drawing moisture through but its been done a good few times now and nowt seems to work. Tanking it should've stoppped moisture coming through at all surely?? Canny annoying :mad:

Might just put a tap on it :)

It might be your putting the rad back too soon and its drying out the plaster too quick, shrinking and losing bond????????? not certain just a suggestion mate.

It was off for a month after, just to make sure. Can't believe its cracked again...

Reckon I'm just gonna have to patch it and see what happens, cheers for the thoughts though! :)

havnt much knowlege in this area but would a mechanical key be a good idea..... like an angle grinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.