Cracking season??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arti

is it just me or is there loads of cracking thread lately....................:RpS_unsure:
i dont mean cracking as in good........thats not to say that loads of threads arent good but just lots of cracking threads................f@ck it you know what i mean.............lol

:RpS_laugh:........WTF is that Mr C........................Tommy C@nt.......................:RpS_thumbdn:

Yeah just had a call today saying the large crack in an artexed ceiling that I prepped and over skimmed had reappeared! Couldn't over board as it had previously been done so would have been 3 boards thick! and also existing coving. Anywho, I am now recommending all ceilings be over boarded be it artex,painted, woodchip,distemper,lath & plaster, etc and put in writing.
So this job I would now have recommended to take down coving and ceiling back to joists, reboard and skim then cove.

Yeah just had a call today saying the large crack in an artexed ceiling that I prepped and over skimmed had reappeared! Couldn't over board as it had previously been done so would have been 3 boards thick! and also existing coving. Anywho, I am now recommending all ceilings be over boarded be it artex,painted, woodchip,distemper,lath & plaster, etc and put in writing.
So this job I would now have recommended to take down coving and ceiling back to joists, reboard and skim then cove.

If the client insists on a simple re-skim you should never guarantee that cracks will not appear because the contributing factors are out of your control. Reasonable clients will understand this because you have been honest with them from the start. When they cannot agree to my terms, I simply walk away and save myself the headache :)

You could go to great lengths by adding fibres to the mix, laying down fibre meshes but ultimately it may still crack in some places, especially if the building is old and next to a main road (sometimes you can feel the vibrations from passing traffic resonating throughout the house). The drone of HGV engines can even cause floorboards to resonate. When you look at old lime plaster on laths, you can see the old horse hair that was added to the mix. It's there to add strength to the plaster, such that, in the event that the lime plaster cracks, the fibres are there to hold the plaster together. The lime may even come away from the laths, but the hair binds it together and as long as it is not tampered with, it could remain in place for the next 100 years. When you study old lime plaster houses, in the Summer there are cracks that open up due to lime expanding, but in the Winter those cracks seal up again due to contraction. If there was a solution to completely eliminate cracking without the need to replace joists and overboard with ply and board, I'm sure the master plaisterers of old would have found a solution and passed it down to us humble spreads :)

2 reason why people are getting crack's in there work is ,1 they don't know what they are doing (chancers ) or 2 , they are trying to do jobs cheaply and thus not doing them correctly.IE reskimming when an over board is needed.

That ramsey geezer is a bit of a bellend.........did you get on well minh..................:RpS_wink:

That ramsey geezer is a bit of a bellend.........did you get on well minh..................:RpS_wink:

He's a character all right and a really good laugh. I had a tour of the kitchen, it was absolutely immaculate and you wouldn't believe the number of staff: 4 on starters, 3 on deserts and 20 on main courses. The dining area must have had 20 waiters and each couple of tables had their dedicated waiter serving dishes and another waiter to pour the wine.

The Maze Grill in Mayfair is also excellent. The waiter comes round with a selection of different cuts of steak: Angus, USDA and Wagyu. I had the 9th grade Wagyu steak from Japan. The cows are fed beer, massaged daily and listen to music. This produces marbled grains of fat in the fillet and the taste is amazing :)

He's a character all right and a really good laugh. I had a tour of the kitchen, it was absolutely immaculate and you wouldn't believe the number of staff: 4 on starters, 3 on deserts and 20 on main courses. The dining area must have had 20 waiters and each couple of tables had their dedicated waiter serving dishes and another waiter to pour the wine.

The Maze Grill in Mayfair is also excellent. The waiter comes round with a selection of different cuts of steak: Angus, USDA and Wagyu. I had the 9th grade Wagyu steak from Japan. The cows are fed beer, massaged daily and listen to music. This produces marbled grains of fat in the fillet and the taste is amazing :)

What is it you do again Minh?

is it just me or is there loads of cracking thread lately....................:RpS_unsure:
i dont mean cracking as in good........thats not to say that loads of threads arent good but just lots of cracking threads................f@ck it you know what i mean.............lol

Could it just be there are more courser chancers on here now?

I massaged a few cows and fed them beer too..maze grill does a great horse, you can ride it or have it grilled..

That's the bullshit they told you, it was just some old horse meat.:RpS_lol:

What code do you write? Programmer or plasterer first?

Mainly C/C++, Java, PHP and JavaScript. However, I can write in any programming language if required. My main interest is in Compilers and Interpreters.

It depends on the situation and time of year. I tend to do more programming from late Autumn to early Spring. Thereafter, I accept plastering work based on whether it is of interest and only when the client expects a quality finish.

Mainly C/C++, Java, PHP and JavaScript. However, I can write in any programming language if required. My main interest is in Compilers and Interpreters.

It depends on the situation and time of year. I tend to do more programming from late Autumn to early Spring. Thereafter, I accept plastering work based on whether it is of interest and only when the client expects a quality finish.

Fair play Minh I wouldn't be plastering though...

ive done a couple of courses A+, CCNA but trying to get the foot in the with no experience is damn near impossible... The whole industry is flooded with over educated people ie more certs than soft mick :(

Fair play Minh I wouldn't be plastering though...

ive done a couple of courses A+, CCNA but trying to get the foot in the with no experience is damn near impossible... The whole industry is flooded with over educated people ie more certs than soft mick :(

I'm a talented programmer: my work is always innovative and reliable. The problem solving aspect is what appeals to me the most and I can practically program whatever I like.

I am not dependent on plastering but it's one of my passions because I find it relaxing and rewarding. I also get paid very well. I have friends who work in other trades and when they come across plastering work they will recommend me to their client. It is often with very well to do clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.