Cracked render?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyplasterer

Hi plasterers, I am looking for some advice and hope you can help.
My parent's house has hairline cracks in the render in several places. There is one area where old render has obviously blown (so I will knock it off and re-render) but the rest of the render seems extremely sound, although one large wall has hairline cracks all over it.
I basically have 3 options:
1.Knock off all the old render with a hilti and start again (though I am worried this may damage the brick substrate)
2. Bash out all the cracks with a hilti and repair with sand/cement/lime
3. rake out cracks and fill with repair render/external filler

Obviously any blown areas will be re-rendered but my folks don't want to spend much unless absolutely necessary.

Also I was wondering if hacking off a 6 inch strip and putting in expansion joints on the large wall with cracks all over would help at all, or does it all just need to come off (strangely this wall seems to have no blown render at all)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Knock off loose stuff and repair as needed if they dont want to spend money on it, its your parents so you should be doing it for free anyway:RpS_thumbsup:

Hi, was gonna upload some pics of my crack for you :RpS_wink: but not sure how, not very tech savvy sorry.
Basically they are thin cracks less than 1mm spread all over 1 wall and in parts on two others. In a couple of places the cracks are slightly deeper. It takes a full on powerful hilti to knock any render off and when I have done that the brick work is shot underneath.
Can't even rake out the cracks as they are solid.
I'm thinking grind them out and fill with flexible masonry filler before painting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.