coving

Status
Not open for further replies.

S a plastering

Private Member
just wondering what you lads do when coving long lenths together but joint or scarf joint got 25 lenths to put up sat 2 rooms the scarf joint always takes that bit longer just wondering if it makes much difference

Always scribe corners and mitre the joints, I cut it all beforehand then when I'm ready all I've got to do is cut them to length.

Usually mitre the joints, however I was having this discussion with someone the other day, and I cant work out why we are all taught to do them like that, it really makes no ******* difference what so ever

Always scarf, the one sits on the other, I find it much easier to hide joins. Scribe the corners, if you don't already, and you'll save loads of time that way.

scarf the joint i find it makes it easier to loose when its painted, plus as said above one sits on the other and supports it

Scarf my arse. I always join straight edges and mitre corners. Always looks good. :flapper:

so then who can fix the most in a day on site ie new build, fixing it to a good standard all joints mitered and stuck properly so it just needs a light dust off by painter ,gyproc cove or cornice

Sometimes I scribe, sometimes I mitre, but I always scarf my mid wall joints. It all depends on the quality of the substrate and the squareness (or not) of the rooms. On a good day, I can put away 130-140 metres. Today, I did about 60 metres, but I was mucking about with this for a brave while.
coving

nice one tony, how did you do it out of interest, co if you cut loads of little bits then you have to get the right joint to line up all the way round??
btw coveings not my favourite thing to do by a long chalk so i only tend to take it on if its easy peasy haha:RpS_tongue:

Can any1 explain how to do a scribe on cove, I coves out a full house a couple of months back and tried on a couple of occasions to scribe them but no luck. I cut the angle on a 45 then cut out the chalk with a coping saw but it just wasn't happenin for me.

Here.
coving

coving

coving

JRP. I made that out of Easifill 20. Had to back cut 2 small timber fillets to get round the curve on the wall and ceiling then pinned them in place. Made a reverse template out of a bit of old bath panel from the skip. Also used a rubber bat knife. All done in 3 passes.

Tony, you ARE the man!!!! That cove'd corner is phenomenal!!! As the man said to the blind prostitute........I've got to hand it to you!!! :RpS_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.