coving

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelarse

Private Member
what are the going rates on coving?

all new walls and ceilings so should be fairly straight ceiling lines

thanks

Can you cove? How many metres can you put up in a day?
I'd be charging £3.00. Materials are going to cost you £1.00-1.25 a metre depending on where you buy them. I've got a farmhouse to do next week, 100 mtrs, with Sculptured coving and i've quoted them £5 a metre + VAT.

i think a basic cove is a nice detail around a ceiling line which can look a bit 'cardboard box' without it..
done well obviously...
especially with the current trend for dark colours on one or more walls, paint the cove brilliant white with the ceiling and it looks top notch....
plus its nice to cut into when painting, easier than the ceiling line imo...

youve hit the nail smack on the head there bod... hoiking great cornice would look crap unless the ceilings are nearly 10 footers...

ours is a 'non standard construction' f'cked up 3 up 4 down dot and dabbed mono pitched excuse for modern architecture with 80"x32" doorsets (internal) with 8x4 sheets of plywood for floors upstairs and a lounge with 5m at one end and 2.6 metres the other with a 45 degree angle to it that i just havent got the will to plaster...
all the ceilings had a 'stipple artex' finish applied p'ss wet with a roller on the dark side of the board (were lucky, half of em on the next estate have some sort of cellotex paper finish board for ceilings) and no coving...

just did the older kids room downstairs though and a bit of cove, some black and silver wallpaper on one wall and the other 3 in some sort of bergundy/purple colour...
bit of stained up ogee skirt and torus architrave (just to be different) and some 'on offer' lami from magnet for 30 quid the whole room...

actually looks the dogs belive it or not.. everyone seems to love the coving.. ;D

not one person has mentioned the belting job i did of rebuilding the end of the bed... :-\

As long as your happy chris is all that matters ;) I done the kids rooms and they wrecked the lot it hardly seems worth it half the time :(

supply and fit and adhesives average £4, £4.50 a meter, thats here anyway obv. theres goin to be regional differences cheers ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.