Coving painted rooms

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had a problem with bonding compound myself bud, done loads of coving onto painted walls in the past.

Few ways I've done this,

Most time i just score it & scrape paint off & use cove/drywall adhesive, paint doesn't always come off though.

Gripfill.

Not done this one but you can Brush a bonding agent round the edges & use cove/drywall adhesive.

Or just use cove/drywall adhesive & then put some screws in & fill with adhesive.

Never had a problem with bonding compound myself bud, done loads of coving onto painted walls in the past.

Only paint i found it ok on was contract Matt on plaster as there's still suction there, but anything else vinyl paints silk etc I wouldn't risk it meself, seen coving in a kitchen fall off a "plasterer" did lol.
A builder stuck some beads on painted walls for us on one job with dab addy they was on the floor when we got there next morning lol.

Scratch the wall (then using a wet brush, brush all tjhe dust out) and use cove adhesive or ready mixed tile adhesive with screws.
best options by far

I've started using the cove addy in a tube after working with @stolenstilton. no mixing. No setting gear. Great at caulking and finishing. Only a quid or so a tube and 2 tubes will normally do an average room.

I've started using the cove addy in a tube after working with @stolenstilton. no mixing. No setting gear. Great at caulking and finishing. Only a quid or so a tube and 2 tubes will normally do an average room.

Link?

Stick it up. Couple of pins. Couple of props while you cut the next one and it ain't going nowhere.

2 tubes ffs must be big tubes or small rooms marra :RpS_unsure:

if its the light weight cove then the stuff in tubes, if not ready mixed tile adhesive (no mixing- yes i"m getting older)

How is that rough? It sticks the cove up and you use it for filling afterwards. How the **** is that rough? I've done hundreds of metres in loads of houses using this stuff and never had any comebacks. When someone asks you to do coving they want their room coved out with nice tight angles and no gaps with no chance of it falling down on them. If that's what it does then how is this a crap method?

ooohh look at me, I can mix some stuff up in a bucket instead of squeezing it out of a tube and still achieve the same result

It is rough mate, simple as. Why the fook would i wanna stick one peice with that sh*t, prop it, pin it? i tell you by the time you've got that first peice held up i would the entire room up. And who the fook cuts one peice at a time and sticks one peice at a time? I'd have the whole room cut first and then stuck while your cutting your 2nd peice.

Rough as fook ...

No we don't mate, this fourm is full of sh*t sometimes. With method would you pefer in your house? Tube stuff or addy?

So the average square box room you have to do four cuts and stick four pieces up. How is it quicker to smear some goo you've mixed up yourself on the back of four lengths you've had to cut than it is to squirt some goo on them from a caulk gun? I think youre just looking for a fight cos you've had a couple of beers in front of X-Factor

First off i don't drink and i dont watch that sh*t either lol ...

Your cove will not hold instant with the tube stuff, you should not have to pin new cove if you stick it correctly. Why fart about making sure it doesnt fall down?

fit coving every day and have done for past 10 years.
I've seen that tube stuff and tried it. It does stick But it's cheap and cheerfull. I used it once and never went back to using it ever again.

Key the wall if painted.
Ca120 or fibrefix along the back edge where wall and ceiling meet the cornice.
Screws aswell (silver drywall)

www.michaeljadams.co.uk
Fibrous plaster mouldings.

Status
Not open for further replies.