Coving on wet plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoebe

Anyone tried coving on a wall skimmed earlier that day, got a job where I need to plaster wall in morning then cove in afternoon. Didn't know whether perhaps sticks like s**t would be better than cove adhesive for this situation? Any advice would be great

Anyone tried coving on a wall skimmed earlier that day, got a job where I need to plaster wall in morning then cove in afternoon. Didn't know whether perhaps sticks like s**t would be better than cove adhesive for this situation? Any advice would be great
I always used cove adhesive and have done it on the same day..

Yeh as long as the skim has set, hard. Scratch the skim a bit to give a key and crack on:RpS_thumbup:

Its the best time to cove imo
When the walls bone dry it can suck the moisture out of the addy.

Ive done lots of coving same day, not had a problem. Like fatarm said, give the plaster a key and away you go

like beddy says its better to cove the same day!! when i HAVE to do it I use dri wall addy

If you do it on the same day, the damp will transfer to the coving and there is a possibility that it will go yellow if painted white.

its nicer if coved after skim in my opinion.. damp ingress would be minimal from a 2/3 mm of skim compared to the moisture in the cove adhesive, over thinking a simple job..

why would you cove 1st that is mad i always cove after never had made a key and unless its cornice i always use artex and never had any probs..but everyone does it diffrent sure u make a mess of cove if cove is put up 1st?

why would you cove 1st that is mad i always cove after never had made a key and unless its cornice i always use artex and never had any probs..but everyone does it diffrent sure u make a mess of cove if cove is put up 1st?
same as skirting first basically

its nicer if coved after skim in my opinion.. damp ingress would be minimal from a 2/3 mm of skim compared to the moisture in the cove adhesive, over thinking a simple job..

Bit of a different story on rendered & skimmed surfaces.

I use artex to stick it up
i remember that we had a letter from nhbc about 20 years ago asking everyone not to use artex to fix cove.
when you remove cove that was fixed with artex you can pull the whole lenght down, as it has not keyed properly.
when you remove cove fixed with cove adhesive you can only remove a small area at a time.

If you do it on the same day, the damp will transfer to the coving and there is a possibility that it will go yellow if painted white.
i always use gyproc cove as the knauf cove goes a dark colour, which we dont like, when we sponge down to clean up.

Was using both BG and Knauf today, coves and adhesives. BG is far superior. Knauf is brittle, lots of air pockets and their addy is coarse as f@ck.

Was using both BG and Knauf today, coves and adhesives. BG is far superior. Knauf is brittle, lots of air pockets and their addy is coarse as f@ck.
the knauf adhesive is very corse, not as good finish. we usually run a watered down coat of pva on ceiling and walls, as we find this makes cleaning down quicker

I'm sure this has been asked a million times lol :RpS_biggrin:

I've put coving up before plastering, after I've plastered & after the plaster has dried, it all depends on the job & the time etc etc.

Unless your fixing it to plasterboard you'll need to dampen the surface if the plasters bone dry, so it's better to fix the coving up when the plaster has set & there's still moisture in it.

Like others have said above :RpS_thumbup:

Why would you make a mess clean it down with a sponge and clean water ,if you have just one wall to do and one length of cove to fix , cove first as then you don't have to wait for wall to go hard before coving , as of you cove when plaster is soft you scratch the wall , so this way better job and job done quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.