Coving and tiling, help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, got a last minute coving job for tomorrow, need to cove a room @ 18m total, on site I used to use knauf dry wall to stick it up, never had to buy cove adhesive, but I need some tommorow, would a 5k bag cove ad do,or would I need a 10k bag?

I all so need to buy an electric tile cutting machine tomorrow,so I can only use the big stores that are open bank holiday dont need a top quality one but researched the cheap ones and some bad reviews, any idea's?

thanks for any help

5kg bag of addy will stick 18m. Screwfix will be open for a tile cutter...........................if they sell them......................;)

use ready mix tile adhesive for the cove, as for a cutter... b and q... ok for what you will need, cost about 80 quid... MAC cutters they sell..... or they do a cheaper plasplug... ok for the occasional job, struggle if your cutting porcelain tho, and keep them topped with water or you will damage the blade... I posted on here a bit back , Rubi had a brilliant offer on their small wet cutter, 75 including VAT.

got myself a wet tile cutter from Screwfix its the Titan £40 one, not that happy with it, although its probably my fault when setting up, the instructions where poor , and the problem I have is I cannot centralise the blade, been using it all week, it cuts fine but when I need to run the full blade through the 6 inch tile,the tile catches the thin blade mount and I have to turn the tile around to complete the cut, like on very thin cuts, it catches at 5 inch, is this a normal problem when setting wet cutters up?

just started a new job supposed to be plastering, turns out 5% plastering, and 95% tiling, full kitchens, with 99 sockets in them, I am no expert at this game, its actually hard work for me, my body is aching all over,, Ive done tiling before years back, but only splash backs, I always thought tilers had a nice easy job!

Tiling is easily as tough on the body if not more so than plastering ( skimming ), especially floors with large format tiles, get yourself a table to put your cutters on, saves bending all the time. as for the wet cutter, get a 180 Rubi, perfect for kitchens and you wont have any problem going straight through the tile... sounds like the tile on yours is catching the blade guard mount, try bending it over... the Rubi is all set up when you buy it, just plug it in and off you go... if you need any more help let me know pal, and by the way, once you get into it, you will be pleasantly surprised at your earnings, I make way more tiling than plastering... good luck.

cheers cassie,

if I decide to stick it out I might invest in one, that's if I don't get thrown out first, I am leaving a good job but its taking me twice as long as it should, I will get a lot faster if they give me the chance.

had a look at the Diamant 180 online @ £90 and upwards looks a nice size for kitchens and bathrooms, what's the water splash like from it?

I took mine apart today to try and centralise the blade it seems to need 1 or 2 washers to bring the blade out to the centre will have them for tomorrow, see if its any better,

i dont use water in mine mate, on kitchen tiles, last for years a Rubi blade, saves all the mess aswell... just do a nice job and the speed will come... if its site work, once you get the 1st one set out, you know the next will be the same, site tilers are a bit rougher than decent domestic tilers... but i would stick to doing a decent job, then your reputation spreads...

Status
Not open for further replies.