countersink screw holes in plasterboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

spredz

Sometimes when you are tacking over uneven joists and the edge of the board is trying to pull itself up to a higher joist the board edge just cracks and splits as you try and get the screw flush to the board.

you can overcome this by making a SHALLOW countersink hole using just the drill bit of the screwgun.

spin the drill bit into the board and rotate the screwgun in a quick wide circle....alls you want to do is create a divot wide enough to accept the head of the screw. ideally no deeper than the head of the screw.

you can also do this on the occasion where you find yourself having to screw in at an angle instead of straight upward.

you can buy a handheld cheap bradawl type countersink device but i find the drill bit quicker and easier.

cheers
spredz

i was taught that if the suface of the paper broke beyond the screw head the fixing was fcuked.

Generally on ceilings, I won't fix the open edge of a board until the next board is in position against it, so if you have to screw close to the edge because of joists running out etc, the end won't crumble.

Pug said:
i was taught that if the suface of the paper broke beyond the screw head the fixing was fcuked.

Thats correct ths screw or nail shouldnt break the paper it should sit holding it.

PhilPlaster said:
If it breaks the paper its not got a tight hold and will pop under the weight of the plaster.

You're dead right mucker and this is what we aim to achieve but in the scenario where you've been screwede over by a joist too high or twisted and you cannot physically screw into the board and get it flush and biting the paper properly and it's cracking and splitting, the next best option to allow you to move on is to make a shallow countersink, ideally the size of the screw head, well i think so anyway what are the other alternatives?

spredz said:
PhilPlaster said:
If it breaks the paper its not got a tight hold and will pop under the weight of the plaster.

You're dead right mucker and this is what we aim to achieve but in the scenario where you've been screwede over by a joist too high or twisted and you cannot physically screw into the board and get it flush and biting the paper properly and it's cracking and splitting, the next best option to allow you to move on is to make a shallow countersink, ideally the size of the screw head, well i think so anyway what are the other alternatives?

just do what you said, then pop some in after its held in place ;)

If the timber is too high then pack it out. A latt is usually perfect for this. If its too low then screw to within tollerance, and fill out with plaster. If its well out and uneven then use bonding. Preferably just re board. ;)

PhilPlaster said:
If the timber is too high then pack it out. A latt is usually perfect for this. If its too low then screw to within tollerance, and fill out with plaster. If its well out and uneven then use bonding. Preferably just re board. ;)

well said phill, are you still looking to team up with someone on mearsyside?

do it the right way get some thin timber and pack it out get a good tight fit with the screws saves any movement popping the scim off the top of the head if u dnt skrim each screw head as some people do and some dont

sidewaysking156 said:
do it the right way get some thin timber and pack it out get a good tight fit with the screws saves any movement popping the scim off the top of the head if u dnt skrim each screw head as some people do and some dont

am guilty of that, never thought about it. al start doing it from now on.

p.s. dose anyone know the cheapest place to buy a box of skrim ;D

I keep a bag of them plastic packers window fitters use, in my van.

They come in various thickneses so you can allways get what you need.

kirk johnstone said:
sidewaysking156 said:

There is someone selling it for a pound or so a roll on ebay i imagine its not very good but you never know

barryed said:
kirk johnstone said:
sidewaysking156 said:

There is someone selling it for a pound or so a roll on ebay i imagine its not very good but you never know

nice one mate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.